OT New Truck

That's the real benefit I see. When I saw that it reminded me the back door on a 70s station wagon that would swing all the way out.

Of course, if they'd quick making these things so fricken high off the ground, the gate wouldn't be an issue. Probably 85% of these trucks with such high suspension never get the springs bent, if you know what I mean.

My old '84 F-150 could comfortably haul a ton and a half of gravel but I could see the top of the roof and into the engine bay without a step ladder.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Or that station wagon door where the door dropped down beneath the back floor and the glass went up into the roof panel. ;~)

There is that but for open road traveling the tall stance gives you a better view.

3,000 lbs???
Reply to
Leon

And puts your headlights in everybody else's eyes.

Yep. Back when I was building our first house, I made regular trips to the "gravel pit" and with certain stone, a full, humped bed load was just over 1.5 tons. It flatted out the springs quite a bit, but man, it rode like a Cadillac with that load in it. I just had to make sure I got on the brakes early. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

And your front bumper in everyone elses rear window in a wreck.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

te:

Wasn't it the 70's era Nova's that always look crooked when you drove behin d them?

Maybe I'm mis-remembering the model, but there was some car from back then that dog tracked or crabbed, whatever the term for that is.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That could be, I have seen many vehicles do that. Most common reasons was that the frame was bent, from a wreck, and never properly straightened. Or way out front end alignment.

Reply to
Leon

Even a shorter truck, with a 3,000 lb load will put its head lights in every one else s eyes. LOL.

I have probably seen as many "cars" that do that too. 2 people in the back seat and there you go.

In Texas head light alignment was a requirement several years ago for annual state inspections. That has been eliminated, I think. Probably because alignment is more difficult with out a sealed beam lamp.

Reply to
Leon

e:

rote:

This was too common an occurrence within a single model model line to be caused by accidents or temporary front end alignment issues. I'd guess a rear axle or rear leaf spring issue possibly due to corrosion.

The Nova did "soup-up" nicely though. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

NUMMI - New United Motor Manufacturing - I believe the plant is now part of Tesla.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Dad's of bent-side F150 scaled at 2.5 tons of mixed hardwood on one load - it had quite a "squat" and had rolled 2 tires off the rims on the way down the hill to the road from the cutting site - it was quite a job to jack that sucker up to change the tires. He drove home with the tires at 50PSI at 30MPH max (about 20 miles)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Whenever I had to move 2.5 tons, I'd make 2 trips at 1.25 tons each.

That's about all the Vega could handle. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That was the one! Something about the engine being too strong for the rear axle, differential. The torque would bend $h!t up and skew the axle setting it at that weird angle, making it look like an automotive bulldog.

Back when I was a kid, we'd see them badly skewed that they'd leave four tire prints on a snowy road.

Reply to
-MIKE-

LOL! Yep, I've seen that around here with all the landscaping trucks hauling trailers that are waaaaay too overloaded.

One time I saw one on a really wet road that was so back heavy, it lost enough traction in the front tires that it couldn't make a turn at in intersection.

Reply to
-MIKE-

e:

rote:

Whew! Man, I'm glad I still got some memory left!

I remember swerving back and forth whenever I was behind just so I could laugh at the fact that I could see the driver side front fender but not the passenger side. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Imagine a Ford Ranger with 1200 square feet of ash hardwood flooring in it - or 22 standard IKEA billy library shelves? The hardwood from Plattsville to Waterloo, and the shelves from BVurlington to Waterloo. Rode like a dream and handled like a pig.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mist common problem was a damaged spring or worn out leaf spring or lower link bushing.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On that note - what was the biggest design flaw on the GM Chevette?? (aka the shove-it)

Single exhaust.

It's awfull hard to push a wheelbarrow with only one handle - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

We call 'em "coon hunters" that's RACcoon

Reply to
Clare Snyder

LMAO! I forgot about that! Some of them were *reeeeeally* skewed that badly. There was some other car like that where they put a big V8 in a little tin can and it tore the crap out of the back end.

It was a tiny little car, tin can, and very light, but the power-to-weight ratio was off the charts, so gearheads would take it to the track and blow away sports cars. i remember hearing stories about the back end coming up through the back seat or trunk.

It might have been the Chevy Monza.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Wow. The Ranger was NOT a truck. I bet you didn't feel any speed bumps, but it probably steered like an oil tanker with that load.

Reply to
-MIKE-