9th August 2019 Power Cut - Final Report

Report

Appendicies

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

as good a piece of 'economical with the truth arse covering' as it is possible to get.

Paraphrasing: 'The margins we maintain for these events are about 80% too low when we have a grid full of renewable energy and interconnects'

But we are saying it was just a terribly rare set of events and had nothing to do with renewable energy really'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have observed in recent times a new culture of buck passing not seen for many long years. Let me just say this, the public are quite happy to accept somebody made a mistake, as long as it gets fixed. That does not just mean a bland statement of lessons will be learned unless they actually are.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thank you - an interesting read.

Reply to
charles

Arse covering or political correctness? Havn't read final report yet but I thought it was a sufficiently rare event to be broadly tolerable.

They've already said elsewhere that they will need to invest more and increase margins as/if renewables grow.

Reply to
newshound

The report is written by National Grid. They don't control who generates and by what means - so it's hardly arse-covering.

Reply to
charles

They are resposnible I think for maintaining the balance and assessing what margins are needed and I think mnaintaining that margin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed.

They had ~1Gw of spare capacity, and lost a quarter of that on a CGT station just along from the lightning strike. Well, that sort of thing happens.

The rest of it they lost from a windfarm at the other side of the country. Which is now being reconfigured, so that shouldn't happen again.

As a result of the swings a bunch of small generators (wind farms, solar etc) also shut down. That's by design, and ate a big slice out of that GW they didn't have any more. They should have more margin to cope with that sort of thing, and that will of course reduce the efficiency of the network more.

Then a valve failed at the CGT station, and they had to shut down the rest of the turbines. They'll look into that, it shouldn't happen.

Finally a bunch of trains didn't like the frequency shift, and required a site visit...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Because they were in the middle of a software update. One might wonder why that was not completed *before* the train is back in service.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The trains should have coped with the low frequency. It was within their operating spec.

Reply to
charles

It was the fleet of trains that was in the middle of a software update - not the individual trains.

Reply to
charles

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, at 10:43:54 on Wed, 11 Sep 2019, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> remarked:

And the update was what made the trains *more* sensitive, not *less*.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Being sensitive I can live with, but why on earth did they need an Engineer to attend a reset each one for what should be an operator reset?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It boils down to Siemens not building units to specification shutting down when the supply frequency dropped below 49Hz for 16 seconds, although the design parameter was 48.5Hz.

Siemens then implemented a software "upgrade" which removed the ability of drivers to undertake a "Battery Reset" on some units - those with the older software could repower, those on the new release needed the attention of technicians - and getting them to the right trains took a long time. These are the dangers inherent with implementing software upgrades on these trains which have not been properly tested.

Jim

Reply to
Jim White

The word used was 'technician'.

Reply to
charles

Old version of software - press buttons to reset (driver resets) New version of software - plug laptop into diagnostic port (tech resets)

Reply to
John Kenyon

In message <qledp8$7r8$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 22:36:39 on Thu, 12 Sep

2019, Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> remarked:

That's the sensitivity involved. "Something this bad must be investigated by a fitter, not just the driver".

Reply to
Roland Perry

Not when the train stranded and full of passengers.

Reply to
Tim Streater

and it's in themiddle of nowhere, so how does the tech get there? and how long does it take?

Mind you I was on an Edinburgh to London train last year which stopped at Berwick and it took nearly an hour to get the brakes released!

Reply to
charles

In message <130920191504427724% snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net, at 15:04:42 on Fri, 13 Sep 2019, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net remarked:

The software which needs tickling by the fitter doesn't have a concept of "train stranded and full of passengers".

So regardless of the loading, it still needs a fitter.

Reply to
Roland Perry