evo-stik timebond repositionable ?

I liked the idea of an adjustable contact adhesive. But some tins of timebond say instant, and some say adjustable. Are they the same product ? I would have thought "timebond" implies the adjustable nature.

I have to fix worktop end strips and normal contact adhesive, if I get it out of line I have had it ! A few seconds to line up would be perfect.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The original was Thixofix. That certainly worked. It slides until you apply downward pressure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True contact adhesive is supposed to be allowed to dry before bringing the parts together, and then instant grab and no chance to reposition.

Reply to
Andrew

There was a time when contact adhesive was the only economical answer for some things. Not sure it is the case today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used to find a bit thicker coat gave me the time, but it does seem odd as you say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The tin says either apply to both surfaces, leave to tack dry, then join together for instant stick.

or, if at least one surface is porous, apply to the least porous surface, press together immediately and hold for a few minutes while it goes off, presumably there's some opportunity to reposition with the second method?

Reply to
Andy Burns

End strips are normally oversize both as to length and height. You don't say if you have clamps available. But one method is to clamp an overhanging guide strip of say 6mm ply to one side and to one end of the worktop and use these as a way of positioning the strip as you mate it up with the edge. If you're not too confident about trimming the strips to size afterwards then have the overhanging guide strip against the top edge - which will show afterwards, And the guide strip for the end at the front. If you don't have clamps double sided tape would suffice.

michael adams

michael adams

Just remebered another dodge. Position the strip on the edge and stick one side down using Duct tape or similar. Basically you're making a Duct tape hinge so keep it all tight as you stick it down maybe with supporting strips. Open it up a few times to make sure its properly aligned. Then open it up spread the adhesive thinly on both surfaces but keeping clear of the duct tape, allow the adhesive to dry and then close it up again.

michael adams

michael adams

Both products are made. ISTR that the moveable one was called Evostick Thixofix. Dunno if its still available. Yes still made:-

harry

TB hates trailing hyphens, unless wrapped in angle brackets

Andy Burns

The Green Stuff that came as part of my EPDM roofing kit said "allow to dry completely before smoothing the covering over the decking or the solvents in the adhesive will cause bubbles to appear in the covering"

Reply to
Andrew

Yebbut EPDM glue is a different animal from evo-stik, the latter won't even touch EPDM (I've checked)

Reply to
Andy Burns