Slugs

Green (recycle) and black (general) bins sit side by side in a shelter outdoors. This morning was green bin day and after emptying I spotted no less than 12 slugs inside the bin. None at all on the black bin. Anyone know why so many, why none on the black bin?

I think molluscs have an excellent sense of smell.
--
Tim Lamb

I guess, now they are has bin slugs? :-)
Brian
--
----- --
On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 10:52:40 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Racism ;-)
Ask Harry about that. :)
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:52:35 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

What's the difference in the contents? Food waste? Garden waste? Or perhaps the black bin, being black, gets hotter than the green one when the sun shines on it (or vice-versa, whichever slugs prefer).
--

Chris

Chris Hogg brought next idea :

As I said green recycle is cardboard, plastics, tins and paper. Black is everything else, food and general waste. Both under shelter, so no direct sun and the same temperature.
On 9/10/2019 4:48 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Our bins are blue for recycling, and black for landfill - flies congregate on the lid of the blue recycling one, and ignore the stinky landfill one.

I think flies' eyes are particularly sensitive to the blue end of the spectrum. Don't electric fly zappers have a UV neon tube to attract them (looks blue to us humans)? I painted a garden seat with Cuprinol Sage paint (which is a somewhat bluish darkish-green colour), and it often was covered with flies.
--
Ian

On 9/11/2019 4:23 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:

Hmm. I painted three garden benches with blue paint (marine/royal)- I haven't noticed flies congregating on them the way they do on the recycling bin, which is a lighter, very bright, blue.
On 10/09/2019 10:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Beer dregs mixed in with all the other bin juices? I think beer either kills or repels slugs - you used to get 'slug pubs' to put in your flower borders to get rid of slugs.
Andy Bennet was thinking very hard :

No beery dregs here.