Street full of bins

Normally it is a Tuesday collection, alternating green then black bins. Christmas Eve, they moved it a day early on the Monday, for the black. Tomorrow New Years Day, would be the green bin, so I checked on line and as you would expect with days being lost, it will be a day late- Wednesday.

A few seem to have assumed it will be collected today and put theirs out, then everyone else has assumed they were correct and almost without exception put their bins out too - all except me, because I bothered to check :-)

You can see how there might be mass sightings of a clone at Gatwick :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or people voting for what they *hope* it might mean or assume they will get what they were promised (even when it's only written on the side of a bus, however unlikely the promise may be).

We ignore what everyone else does / did and put our bins out at the scheduled / published times. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message <q0cvvb$ics$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> writes

Our council announced Tuesday collections last week and this would be Wednesday, both of which are public holidays in Scotland. I was the only person to put a bin out last week, and was delighted when it was duly emptied :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Round here, if your collection was due 25th, it's now 8th January. Two weeks. (Not a worry for us, we can get 9 weeks into one bin ...)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

OTOH, our council's web site said this week's recycling collection would be two days late, on the 29th. But they seem to have done it the usual day, the 27th. And we missed it. There's a moral there somewhere.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

When I was in the US in the 80s, bins and kerbside recycling were collected on your same designated day all year round. None of this shifting it because of Christmas nonsense.

When I returned to the UK in 93, and described kerbside recycling to people, they were all astonished and said it would never catch on here.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which is to pay attention. Here, the bin collection rota sheet only went up to end Nov, and one assumes a new one was produced around the same time, although I think now it's only available online (I haven't checked, but I imagine if one calls the council they'll send one out).

Reply to
Tim Streater

Here, New Forest, they print it on the plastic sacks provided by them.

Reply to
Richard

Here, they used to cycle the collection days for "normal" bank holidays, so it evened-out who was inconvenienced on Mondays and Fridays, but for several years now they just collect on the bank holiday as normal (they don't collect on Christmas Day, Boxing Day or New Year's Day, I think they just move those collections to the following Saturday)

Reply to
Andy Burns

They used to print a rota for here, long ago, but now they publish dates on line. You just enter your house number/ postcode and it lists the dates of the next few collections. Alternate weekly black /green, then dates for the Saturday brown garden bins, but only in the summer months.

Their is discussion of adding in a food waste collection. There will not be much from here, we have two dog disposal units :oÞ

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net posted

Same here (London borough of Kingston). No-one has received one. I wouldn't mind if they were on-line only, as long as they just *tell* us. Mind you they are so bloody complicated these days ...

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

For the first time in memory they collected the main (gray) bin a day EARLY, last Monday instead of Tuesday. Guess who didn't put his out? And they collect this bin every three weeks. I only have myself to blame, the weekly "Don't forget to put your bin out" email did explain if I'd bothered to read it properly.

Reply to
Graham.

There is no worry with bins , its after they come you get the hassle a slalom down the road, a no go area for the blind. Bin emptiers have to start putting things back where they came from its anti social the way it is now. Clone? You mean drone. I'm sure there were drones, many people do have them but how stupid people are with what they do with them is debatable. It has at least highlighted the unprepared of our airports if a terrorist got one to wreak havoc though. Probably a good thing to happen even if they only found one downed drone. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

here, in Guildford, we were sent out a schedule for a year in November. it included the Christmas & New Year arrangements.

Reply to
charles

Brian Gaff brought next idea :

They are not too bad at putting them back here, but only as far as the narrow pavements, which tend to then be blocked for the entire day. No excuse for those at home all day, who just leave them there causing an obstruction, forcing peds to walk out on the often busy road to get past. I think the local by-law says they have to be taken in an hour after emptying and that hedges have to be properly trimmed back, but who today takes any notice? Some have hedges taking up near two feet of the footpath, then the parked cars blocking footpaths 8-o

Sorry 'drone' I meant. I suspect many of the reported sighting might have been of the 'me too' nature and possibly birds.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

charles submitted this idea :

We get o notifications, just the web site to check. The (fair) assumption must be that everyone has internet access these days.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They also will text you a reminder for the glass bin collection the day before it is due or if it has changed from its normal rota date, maybe in time they will do the same for the bag collections. The village monthly newsletter also publishes dates for all the collections here.

GH

Reply to
Marland

They eat potato peelings and egg shells do they?

tim

Reply to
tim...

You're welcome to pay attention at 07.30 on the day after Boxing Day. I didn't. I foolishly believed the council knew what they were doing, in the face of long experience to the contrary.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

We have that in theory, but in practice "the page cannot be found"

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog