Flies ...

Is it just me, or are others around the country suffering an excess of flies this year? Seems like every room you go in, there's one or two of the annoying little bastards buzzing about, and as fast as you get rid of them, there's more to replace them. And they seem more resistant than normal to flyspray. I've always used blue Raid in an aerosol can, being particularly pleased with its 'knock down' abilities, but it seems that this year, you can score a direct hit, and still the bloody things are dive bombing you five minutes later ...
Arfa
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:23:57 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

Weird, they've been really bad this side of the Pond this year, too. I've hardly seen any bees or wasps (and no nests to deal with), but flies (mozzies in particular) are all over the place.
Maybe it's the first signs of the 2012 apocalypse? (Err, I mean, olympics)

of flies

the
of them,

normal to

particularly
year, you

you
Not personally noticed any increase this year. We have one of those high voltage / uv zappers in both the farm kitchen and the room I use for meat production, and they both need regular emptying - highly effective and they don't smell (*) unlike flysprays.
AWEM
(*) unless a particularly large moth gets stuck and burns a bit !

Has anyone noticed that bumblebees smell like roast chestnuts? Had one burn on a halogen uplighter once.
--
Bill

We have wooden floors and no flies. I think they might hide their eggs in the carpet .. or something. Also do not get the horrid and beastly spiders.

I too have suspended wooden floors, and the only places in the whole house that have carpet, are the bedrooms upstairs. All of the downstairs floors, including the conservatory which also has a suspended wood sub floor, are clad with laminate. I really don't know where they are all coming from. Three or four years back, we had an issue in the village, with an egg farm about a mile away. Apparently, they weren't cleaning out the sheds properly, or were leaving what they had cleaned out, including dead chickens, in piles on the land. That year, there was an absolute infestation of flies for about a month, until the council closed them down and removed the cause. I'm not aware of any such circumstance this year though, so it's a bit of a mystery ...
Arfa

Dunno how long flies eggs take to hatch.

Mr Pounder wrote:

It depends on temperature, but from egg laying to flying away takes from a week to a fortnight, which is why weekly rubbish collectons were introduced in the first place.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 31/07/2011 2:50 a.m., Mr Pounder wrote:

The enemy of your enemy is your friend.

What has that got to do with the horrid and beastly spiders, Gib Bogle?

What is horrid and beastly about spiders?
--
Tim

They are sneaky cunning creatures that did not come from our world. They are man's oldest nightmare and I will kill anything with more than four legs. It's not looking too good for the dog at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oXYAWWGxw4

I was here, lost an arm and part of a leg.

No artillery? No choppers? These klods just armed with sten guns? No RPGs, no mortars, no flamethrowers, no tanks?
Nothing like the book, BTW.
--
Tim

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Streater

Bill the Galactic Hero was much better.
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Infintely better.
I love the sequel where he solves the Earth's waste problem by using the state subsidised government InterGalactic Postal Service to post all the scrap to developing planets.

I think that was in BGH itself, in fact.
I thought the later sequels were much weaker, at least the two of them I've read. Relying too much on "and suddenly something unpredictable happened" - unless you happen to like trekkie crossovers and suchlike ;)
Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
On 30/07/2011 12:23, Arfa Daily wrote:

Oddly enough, I was thinking just this morning that there a far fewer flies than normal here. They must have all come your way!
SteveW
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:12:06 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

I was thinking that there doesn't seem to be as many as normal either. But then the weather has been decidedly cool for summer, overnight is down to or below 10C and day time really strugles to get to 20C. Roughly 5C cooler than normal.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Hmmm. Must be the global warming .... :-)
Arfa
On 30/07/11 12:23, Arfa Daily wrote:

In our case it's not an excess of flies we're suffering from but instead have been inundated with thunderbugs this year.