Power cut

Anyone affected by it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

10,000 people doesn't sound that "major" to me ... gridwatch not showing any dip.
Reply to
Andy Burns

According to the BBC and a recent check of departure boards, all trains in the main line from King's Cross and all going through St.Pancras are at a standstill. I can't see any train less than an hour late. If that is only affecting 10,000 people well I'd be very surprised. And the rail companies expect disruption until the end of the day.

This country is getting more and more like Venezuela every day. It'll make Mr Corbyn feel right at home when he gets to replace Mr Johnson. :-)

Fortunately I'm just travelling by car today - a few sets of traffic lights were not working which made my journey just that bit faster.

Reply to
Clive Page

Nope. Well maybe. Got extra donations to gridwatch today...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

wnd does not seem high enough to have affected wind turbines either. actual output is bang on forecast

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No DAB signals from Guildford at about 18.45. They were there an hour later.

Reply to
charles

Households not people. BBC had one reference to 100,000. And in several areas. But still only something like 1% of users. Certainly a major problem to the grid, not a major national crisis. But bad for affected rail (and perhaps air) travellers.

Reply to
newshound

The 10,000 people figure was from Sky news website.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Spoke too soon. ISP went offline for an hour...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Judging by the map on the news last night, it must have affected a lot more than 10,000 people.

The map the BBC showed had several counties taken down and looking on the BBC website the numbers are way above 10,000. A quick tot up of the ones given is nearer 1m than 10k.

I am the last one to believe conspiracy theories but the story released just doesn?t ring true.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It is fairly clear that with so much renewable energy on the grid a loss of 1.5GW caused a massive downwards spike in frequency which initiated load shedding.

And a lot of backup systems didnt work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wind turbines! Sooner we're out of the EU the better; can't come a day too soon.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Nearly a million according to BBC News.

How about Crystal Palace TV station? That kept going I think. How is that powered?

Reply to
Max Demian

Out of the frying pan and ... straight into the Marxist fire as Corbyn and McDonnell take over (without the ECJ holding them back).

Reply to
Andrew

So about 10 people were affected then

Reply to
Andrew

If corbyn gets 15% of the national vote he will be doing well.

Limp Dumbs will sweep up the leftysheeple

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what people said in May 2017 and 6 weeks later it only needed about 2000 carefully cast votes in marginals and Corbyn would have been in control.

Reply to
Andrew

Noone would be listening to DAB with the power off anyway. Too expensive to use batteries for DAB!

Reply to
Bob Eager

By a strange coincidence, the DT are using a rather topical MATT cartoon while he is on holiday. What's more they put it on their website before the brownout (what's the term for frequency out ?)

Reply to
Andrew

Unusually clueless remark from Andy, today's estimate (reported in the Guardian) was nearer 1M people affected.

Reply to
mechanic