slightly OT? :- homeplugs affected by hoover?

have a couple of items on a home network connecting via Homeplugs. The Homeplug nearest the router is plugged into a double socket, the next double socket around the ring is not veery far away - 6inches - on the other side of a stud wall.. when SWMBO hoovers (dysons) the Homeplug network falls down and recovers shortly after- why? and can I do anything?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

Hahahahahaha!

How deliciously ironic.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Homeplugs do no like activity on the circuit which might cause variations form a bog standard 50 Hz sine wave. The hoover motor may well cause some upset.

If you need the network and SWMBO has to hoover at the same time you could:

a. use an extension lead to power the homeplug from somewhere near where the other homeplug is plugged in.

b. plug them both into the same lighting circuit.

c. set up the network by hard wiring or wireless.

Homeplugs don't like having to go through RCDs but they usually still run slowly

Reply to
Invisible Man

Cue for someone to say that a Miele wouldn't cause this problem.

Reply to
John

Fit a suppressor in the hoover.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

My Miele doesn't cause this problem ;-)

Mind you, my old Dyson didn't either. It was shit in many ways, but this wasn't one of them :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

commutator sparks

and can I

Throw the Dyson in the skip where it belongs, and use a besom. :-)

Or a proper netowrking system.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It probably wouldn't, at that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Non trivial at 3bhp or so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We have 2 dysons & several homeplugs - haven't noticed this problem. Not being smug, just saying it's not universal.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

just your humble opinion I suppose....

erm....ironic?

Reply to
Jim K

When there are more Dysons than Hoovers - will be be Dysoning with a Hoover if we still have a Hoover?

Reply to
John

rest of network is "proper" BTW...

Jim K

PS broadband is great ;>)

Reply to
Jim K

In message , Jim K writes

Possibly a reference to the fact that Homeplugs are causing a lot of interference to many shortwave radio users? So a bit ironic that one is now being interfered with.

Reply to
Bill

From that response, I suppose one must presume then that you are one of those amateur radio bods who seems to think that the world must revolve around them with regards to the perfectly legal Homeplugs?

Reply to
Unbeliever

In this case it's probably the Dyson picking up a transmission from a local radio ham and then transferring it into the mains. The way to check if this is the case is by unplugging the Dyson ... if the problem disappears.....

Reply to
Alan

You sure Management isn't unplugging the homeplug to plug in the Dyson?

Cue the similar story involving a hospital cleaner, life support system in ICU and unexpected deaths...

We'll be Electroluxing with both.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

deffo not the case ;>) - router etc are in a cupboard area, SWMBO plugs dyson into next socket (other side of wall). it must be the interference/motor spikes mentioned by others. we have a newish split CU with 2 RCDs etc, i'll see what happens when the dyson's run from the other RCD.....

cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

We also have a split load box with RCDs on both. Homeplug works slowly between the two sides. If I need a bit more speed I plug into the lighting circuit upstairs which is on the same RCD as the power circuit downstairs into which the other homeplug is fitted. Fortunately our local G10 is 2 doors away so probably on a different supply phase.

Reply to
Invisible Man