Homeplugs up the submain

Mike Barnes's post in the hard drive thread above gave me an idea. When I originally built my shed and installed power, one of my mates asked how I was rigging up the network. I thought he was taking the piss (he's the kind of person who has a robotic hoover and a programmable hob) but as he pointed out, for some kinds of work it's useful to be able to hit Google when you're unsure. I do everything in there from carpentry to electronics, and some areas I know less about than others.

If I'd been thinking of this when running the SWA I might have put in cat5 alongside it, but I can't really be arsed to repeat the job. Wireless doesn't work from inside my tin shed.

So, getting eventually to my question. How far "upstream" do Homeplug-type systems work? The connection to my shed comes off a henley block between the meter and the CU. Is this likely to work, or are the Homeplug frequencies blocked by RCDs and the like?

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

It's me again. :-)

I'm not sure what a Henley block is but I can tell you what I have here, which I regard as a pretty difficult environment. One Homeplug goes into a 13A wall socket near the router, via one of those cube-shaped three- way adapters. From there the signal goes along about 8 metres of ring main to the CU, which is fitted with MCBs. From there (via a different MCB as you'd expect) it's about another 7 metres of T+E to the back of the house. Then it's SWA for about 15 metres underground to the garage door, then about 5 metres more T+E within the garage to another CU, with RCD this time. From there 5 metres more T+E to a 13A socket into which is plugged a 2-metre four-way extension lead, into which is plugged the disk drive and the other Homeplug (phew!).

The Homeplugs are "dLan 200"s, and they give an apparently reliable connection, with a reported transfer rate of 58 Mbps, though I suspect that actual throughput is rather less than that. Still, not bad. Nicely secure and a doddle to set up.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

How far is the shed from your wireless router? Suppose you put an aerial (perhaps a little Yagi array) on the outside connected directly to a little stub aerial inside? Would that be expected to work? Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Dunno - but I've ordered the plugs now, so a moot point :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon