Re: M6

I remember the first night that Z Cars was shown on TV, I had a choice of staying home to watch the new series or meeting the girl-friend-de-jour. Z Cars didn't win that one, but the following furore in the papers about how the police were depicted (wife-beating, etc) publicized the series no end, and I swapped evenings so I could see future episodes. Lancashire Police withdrew their co-operation in protest at the coverage.

A few years later I had cause to be grateful for the aid of a Z car. Heading south on the M6 somewhere south of Preston my 348cc Velocette had a front-wheel puncture, and I didn't have the kit needed to repair it. Nonetheless, while I was taking the wheel out and pondering my next steps, a Z car pulled up and one of the officers asked what the matter was, and went on to say that they were on a call but would be back in 30 minutes or so.

I sat in the warm sunshine watching the traffic go by, until the returning Z car pulled up opposite on the hard shoulder of the northbound carriageway. One officer ran across to the median, and called me across. Picking up my wheel and tools, I legged it over both carriageways, dumped the wheel, etc in the boot of the Zodiac, and we sped off at well over the ton, until they turned off and dropped me at a garage close by the motorway.

I think I was generously given a repair kit, and anyway made short work of the job, thumbing a lift back to my waiting Velo and the rest of the

200-mile journey home. Next day was a week day, so leaving the lab in the evening I filled up at a nearby garage, and I'd just pulled away into the traffic when the front inner tube exploded leaving me with very little control of the machine. Being a skilled biker I didn't fall off and so spill petrol or suffer any injuries and brought the machine to a halt. I had to get buses and a train to get home.

I had a spare tube at home so dad gave me lift back to my machine. I did the business and was soon back on the road. Later examination of the offending tyre showed a tiny manufacturing defect that when in use was slowly abrading a very small area in the inner tube, which as a result had finally let go in a big way - fortunately at low speed rather than those of the motorway.

I'm still grateful to those two Z-car officers for their help and assistance.

Reply to
Spike

Which is why we always check the casing and rim carefully when replacing a tube, and carry a spare tube or two alongside the puncture kit.

Hitching (unsuccessfully) somewhere near Dartford about 2:00 AM my GF and I attracted the interest of a police patrol - they questioned us and then (having decided we weren't up to no good) gave us a lift most of the way to Dover, which I thought was jolly decent of them.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Burt?s main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think ahead.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

Burt can spin a fine yarn, though. I still reckon this was where he peaked:

Bernie

As apposed to you..your 'e main problem, amongst many, is a crippling inability to think.

Reply to
Rambo

Ha-ha-ha-h-ah-a-ah-a-a-ha-ha-ha-ha-h-a-ha-h-ah-ah-a-h-ah-a-hah-ahhh!

Reply to
Bernie

In my bike days I only ever had rear punctures on my own bikes, and I would either patch them or put in a spare tube. But I did have a front patch come off on a bike I was recovering for someone, which wasn't fun. After that I always carried a spare (unpatched) front tube.

Reply to
newshound

Rich, why did you say that you held a Full when you actually only held a

2E0?
Reply to
Stephen Cole

Mental, isn?t it?

Reply to
Stephen Cole

Poor Old Burt. I wonder if the plods ever reimbursed him for those computers they broke?

Reply to
Stephen Cole

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Bernie snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

There was something rather reminiscent of this on the TV last night showing drug raids in Wales I think . In one scene they burned the door with what looked like an industrial laser top to bottom near the lock and pushed what remained open.

"the door comes off its hinges with brutal force at about 4 am, and your house is filled with shouting robots dressed in psychologically-disturbing agressive-looking clothing and totally impervious to anything you might say, and completely indifferent to you and any partner being stark naked"

This makes Gareth's encounter look like a cosy chat with PC Dixon,.

Brian

Reply to
brian

With Burt being ?stark naked? I feel sorry for the coppers, tbh.

Reply to
Stephen Cole

Most people tend not to be hostile towards the police. They rarely encounter them. Conversely, those who have some kind of history with the police / criminal record tend to be very vocal in their criticism. The same is true of employment. Those who enjoyed their work/ career, don?t go on to criticise former managers/colleagues etc .

Reply to
Brian Reay

The tyre that failed was the one that came with the machine, and there had been no problems with it until the M6 incident. I guess the previous owner had only used the Velo for short journeys. It would seem like a summer day and a long motorway journey were too much, and the tube was compromised by this.

The day after, I went searching for the cause, which proved difficult to find, and it certainly never showed with the fingers test or a casual visual inspection - it wasn't a case of a 'sharp bit' being easy to find, but more of a very small (1 mm?) slightly roughened patch that was hard to find.

Some 60 years after first taking to the road I still ride a bike, and must have been very lucky as I can only recall three punctures in that time, this incident being one of them.

They don't make 'em like they used to...police officers, I mean...

Reply to
Spike

That's simply untrue. I, and many colleagues I know, enjoyed my work but we, regretfully, rather often had to criticise management.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

One wonders why former Project Manager Reay appears so sensitive on the issue of the criticism of management.

Reply to
Spike

+10
Reply to
jeikppkywk

IME, incompetent management was a major cause of employee dissatisfaction.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

What's her name?

Reply to