Z-Frame

My parent's shutters are installed in a nice Z-frame that fits very tightly over the existing window moulding I would like to construct something similar, but can't see how it's done. The moulding that I find at HD has a flat back and if I were to place it over the existing moulding, the outer edge would sit well out from the existing moulding, which I think would look odd. It's almost as if the Z-frame moulding has a concave back.

So my questions are:

1) How can I make the moulding of the Z-frame fit tightly over the existing moulding, and 2) What is the best way to join the various segments of the Z? I'm supposing that it's 3 pieces of wood, but it appears seamless. Hmmm....maybe it's painted plastic?

Thanks for any thoughts

Reply to
Greg Esres