Non-Metalic Wire?

I saw this and was wondering how long it has been around and how does it work. What is it made out of to deliver electricity?
https://www.lowesforpros.com/pd/Southwire-Romex-SIMpull-250-ft-12-2-Non-Metallic-Wire-By-the-Roll/1193433
What am I missing? Are they actually talking about the casing? The casing is not wire...
On 3/8/19 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:

I believe the Non-Metallic (NM) means the sheathing is made of plastic, not metal. There are times when it's required to have metal-sheathed wire and times when you can use Romex, non-metallic sheathed wire.
So that's the designation. MC for metal clad, and NM for non-metallic.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/8/2019 11:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Understood but it specifically says non metallic "wire". And I do not ever recall Romex ever being called metallic or non metallic.
Probably another situation where those persons naming parts or describing something have no idea what the meaning of words are.
Functionality, never needed to replace the word function. And for that matter, "almost any word that has had "ality" added in the last 10~12 years.
Utilize, never needed to replace the word use.
And while I am on the soap box, When did the word button start being pronounced but-in. Garden, now pronounced gar-din.
Classic example of school no longer teaching students how to read the dictionary.
All future left voters.
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 1:25:44 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

n-Metallic-Wire-By-the-Roll/1193433

  The

llic.

It's not uncommon, assuming that you accept that by referring to something by using the initials NM, it is being referred to as non-metallic.
https://www.thespruce.com/what-does-romex-or-nm-mean-1821530
"Romex® is the specific brand name for a non-metallic (NM) building wi re made by Southwire. In other words, Romex® is technically just one bran d of NM cable. However, the term Romex is often used generically (though inaccurately) to describe any type of NM cable, no matter which manufacture r made it."
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:12:19 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

"Romex" is not wire - it is CABLE. A "wire" is a single conductor
On 3/8/2019 8:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Yes, and further confuses the matter. LOL
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 1:25:44 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

n-Metallic-Wire-By-the-Roll/1193433

  The

llic.

Interesting story (at least to me) about NM wire.
I'm sure that most of us are familiar with the "cloth covered" NM wiring in older homes. You know, same concept as Romex, except that all the sheathing is cloth, not plastic. Well...
My godparents lived on Narragansett Blvd in Chicopee MA. (be sure to rememb er the name of that street) Their house was where I learned about knob-and-tub e wiring as a teenager. I helped my godfather pull some new wires through the K&T fixtures. It was my first experience with house wiring. Fast forward a decade or so when I was about to buy my first house, a house located in western NY. While visiting my godparents they handed me a wad of cash to help with the down-payment.
So, I move in and I'm getting ready to do some wiring work on my own house. A house that some nice folks that lived on Narragansett Blvd helped me buy. Narragansett Blvd, where I had my very first experience with house wiring.
Imagine my surprise when I looked at the cloth covered NM wiring and notice d the name "Narragansett Wire Company" printed on the sheathing!
That was a very spooky feeling!
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:47:32 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

The original "romex" WAS the tar/paper/fabrick covered stuff.

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 9:53:21 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

es

-Non-Metallic-Wire-By-the-Roll/1193433

?  The

ic,

imes

etallic.

in

ing

Romex® is the specific brand name for a non-metallic (NM) building wire made by Southwire.
"tar/paper/fabrick covered stuff" was branded under other names, as is the plastic covered stuff sold today.
The Narragansett Wire Company did not make "Romex".
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 19:02:30 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

My dad was an electrician and pulled miles of ROMEX Long before the plastic stuff came out. Invented and trademarked in 1922 by the Rome Wire Co in Rome New York. First described in the NEC of 1926.
Rome Wire became General Cable which was bought out by southwire in 2001 (sept 5, to be exact).
Narragansett cable produced a "eomex" style cabble under the name NARAX.
The original "fabric" romex type cable was in common use up until aproxemately 1975 when the price of the plastic insulated pruduct became competetive (available from the mid-sixties) The original romex used eubber insulated wire, with thermoplastic becoming common in the mid fifties.
Dad came home blacker from his electrical work in the early years than he did from the iron foundry where he fed the Bessemer.
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:50:54 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

does

2-2-Non-Metallic-Wire-By-the-Roll/1193433

ing?  The

astic,

d times

n-metallic.

not

ing in

athing

So, basically, you just used a lot more words to say exactly what I said.
Romex is brand name.

Another word peeve with = wid?

Classic example of geographical variation, y'all.
On 3/8/2019 3:56 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

LOL!!! That is short for you all. The words I have trouble with, I don't recall hearing them pronounced that way 15+ years ago.

I thought it was the inbread homeschooled backwoods southern repugnicans who couldn't read or write past a 3rd grade level. Those and the sons of rich new york mobsters that run for president as a way to "improve their brand"
In other word - current "right" voters (or at least TRUMP voters) and Trump offspring
On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 21:48:27 -0500, Clare Snyder wrote:

Looks like time to update the killfile: this kind of snide ad hominem bullshit is a complete waste of time, and totally out of place in an exchange of ideas and experience of woodworking.
Colin
On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:50:59 PM UTC-5, Colin Campbell wrote:

I assume that you are going to killfile those on both sides of that conversation, right? You seemed to have snipped the original comment that prompted that response. Wouldn't it be hypocritical to killfile one, but not the other?
Hmmm...come to think of it, this entire thread is totally out of place in an exchange of ideas and experience of woodworking. Your killfile is going to wipe out more than a couple of the few people left that actually discuss woodworking.
On 3/8/2019 9:50 PM, Colin Campbell wrote:

You should probably hang around longer before kill filing any one. I would say you might be a recent poster, I don't recall you being on this group in the past few years. Many of us here have been here sine the last millennium. And as we get older we kinda become less tolerant. and go off on a tangent. ;~)
On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 16:22:49 -0600, Leon wrote:

You're probably right, Leon; the comments caught me crossways after a long day, and I hit send before think. AAMOF, I've been following the NG for 3-4 years, just don't have a lot to say. I figure 2 eyes, 2 ears and only 1 mouth has to mean something.
Thanks for the nudge, Leon!
Colin

https://i.imgur.com/ikbFXCw.jpg