Wire nut w/5 #12

Can someone tell me the best way to wire-nut 5 #12 wires in a 4x4" box. I know that a red nut will accept 5 #12 solid wires, but is there a better way ? I have seen posts that talk about con-blocks and others that talk about compression nuts. I can't find either at HomeDepot or any other big box.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
sid

Chocolate block.

Reply to
TimR

You could also use a small copper split-bolt and (assuming it's not a grounding wire) wrap it with tape.

If I was using a wire-nut, I'd go one size bigger than red (don't remember what color that is, blue?)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

split bolt and tape.

Reply to
windcrest

Reply to
RBM

Just go one size bigger (gray) and get a quality brand. I don't know if HomeCheepo sells a quality brand so you may need to stop at a real supply house.

WT53 is a good choice.

Reply to
George

Strip off 1" or better, get a real good twist with a GOOD pair of flat nosed pliers, then solder, then cut back to 1/2" to 3/4" of soldered wire showing and tape well.

Steve Barker

On 8/26/2009 7:49 AM Steve Barker spake thus:

Surprised to see someone make that suggestion.

Yes, it would definitely be a superior connection, both electrically and mechanically. But aside from the extra work involved, it has the problem of not being easily un-doable in case some future electrician needs to fix or add something.

Kind of like the old Western Union splices ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It would appear that cutting back the wires after soldering would violate NEC 110.14(B): "Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered."

Also, NEC 250.148(E) prohibits relying on solder for the grounding conductor (EGC): "Connections depending solely on solder shall not be used."

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Ever try to open a crimped connector and add a wire?

Reply to
Mr.E

I know Radio Shack (and others) sell these for low voltage connections but are they NEC approved for house wiring?

I Googled them and all the sites that carry larger sizes seem to be in the UK or NZ.

I was first introduced to them while serving in the USCG in Germany back in the late seventies, but again, only for low voltage apps.

Are they NEC approved to be used in the application the OP described?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Problem there of course is buying a bag of 100 when I'm guessing the OP needs - dare I say - 1.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Twist to sufficient length, trim, then solder and tape.

Bundle, serve with #12 or #14 then solder and tape.

Key word here is "solely" as making mechanically and electrically secure followed by solder is not "solely".

This was done to prevent just placing the conductors in contact and soldering.

Reply to
Mr.E

Sounds fine, as long as the conductors are still mechanically secure after trimming.

I have a couple issues with this interpretation. First, it makes

250.148(E) purely redundant to 110.14(B). Second, under your interpretation, why add the solder at all? Just twist to be mechanically and electrically secure. So instead, I take "depending solely on solder" to mean "consists only of the conductors plus the solder".

Here's a clearer citation on the prohibition of soldering for the grounding conductor that is new to the 2008 NEC: 250.8(A) says "Permitted Methods. Grounding conductors and bonding jumpers shall be connected by one of the following means:" and then does not include soldering in the list of acceptable methods.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

On 8/26/2009 11:39 AM snipped-for-privacy@totally.invalid spake thus:

No, but I've undone wire-nutted connections and added/moved wires.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ideal makes push in connectors similar to these in I have seen up to six conductors.

They really do work well in where space is an issue.

Reply to
gore

I did see these at HomeDepot, but when you examine them up close, I don't see how that could not melt when subject to any amperage. The expert on hand said that some/most the new light fixtures have these provided as opposed to wire-nuts with the fixture in the box.

Reply to
sid

I did see these at HomeDepot, but when you examine them up close, I don't see how that could not melt when subject to any amperage. The expert on hand said that some/most the new light fixtures have these provided as opposed to wire-nuts with the fixture in the box.

They are rated for number 12 wire. I haven't researched all the specs, but we have used them on several jobs without a problem. They make pigtailing really quick too.

Reply to
gore

I did see these at HomeDepot, but when you examine them up close, I don't see how that could not melt when subject to any amperage. The expert on hand said that some/most the new light fixtures have these provided as opposed to wire-nuts with the fixture in the box.

gore

Sorry for hijacking...

Had to laugh when viewing that page. Main item: wire nuts. Suggested Related items: Two diamond circular saw blades and a Bosch drill/driver.

Gotta love software (or more likely, keyword coding) that comes up with that combination. And I've seen ridiculous suggestions on plenty of other sites and pages.

Amazon usually has relevant suggestions, but I've seen some crazy ones there too.

One of the most memorable goofy suggestions was at Cabellas or some other big sportsman store. I was searching for combination sunscreen and bug repellant, which it found. The related item it suggested was a 5 pack of pitons (the things mountain climbers pound into rocks to secure lines).

Why even bother having such a feature if it can't work better than that?

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin