Non-Metalic Wire?

Sounds that way, doesn't it? :)

But is so.

He is inflammable, true, but as a gas has lousy heat transfer properties in comparison and so is comparatively poor for the purpose. LIQUID He is used for superconducting applications, but that's not this application at all.

And, "no, I'm not making this up!" -- spent 30+ years, first in commercial nuclear generation and then transitioned over to fossil...

Reply to
dpb

I don't know about that. I remember the time I called him an A-hole. He rea cted rather violently. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Correction. Inflammable and flammable are synonyms. I believe the word you're looking for is nonflammable.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

On 3/9/2019 10:32 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: ...

Good catch, thanks. Was _really_ intending "inert", but sometimes the fingers just go on their own, it seems.

--dpb

Reply to
dpb

Ok.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That always cracked me up. I always have to remember inflammable means able to be inflamed. I usually think of it as inflammable = in-flames.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I remember being exceedingly surprised and amazed when I was first introduced to this as a young'un not long out of school on first exposure to the real plant environment as opposed to running reactor core power distribution calculations for power peaking limits... :)

That was 50 year ago now at what was at the time the highest thermal efficiency coal-fired generating station in the world...TVA's Bull Run station just outside Oak Ridge, TN. It was one of the very first super-critical steam cycle plants.

Had been to TVA HQ in Knoxville on sales/support mission for new nuclear unit they were considering; they offered tour to a couple plant sites, one of which was Bull Run, the other Sequoyah, a competitors' nuclear station so I turned that one down and went to Bull Run instead. :)

Reply to
dpb

I think you meant "not-flammable". "Inflammable" doesn't mean what you think it does. ;-)

No, not cryogenic He. He gas has great heat transfer properties, at least for a gas. It has a very high mobility and is more massive than H, so will transfer more per mole. We used it to fill electronics modules for exactly that reason (and it was non-reactive).

Reply to
krw

On 3/9/2019 11:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: ...

Not in comparison to H, it doesn't, no...the heat transfer characteristics outweigh He enough to use it extensively despite the flammability for turbine-generator cooling.

H conductivity is ~20% higher, but the molar heat capacity is almost double He and the density is roughly half so one gets much more heat transport out that wins the thermal efficiency battle handily.

70% or so of all turbine-generators over 50-60 MWe wouldn't use H cooling if it weren't a marked advantage.

I'm not aware of any using He altho there may well be a few.

Reply to
dpb

On 3/9/2019 12:52 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Which, of course, doesn't negate that it may be used for other applications as your example.

Large central-station generating units are very large, very complex and very expensive and the payback of a little extra efficiency is sufficiently high they can afford the added complexity in handling H.

For other uses, the handling issues can easily be prohibitive.

Reply to
dpb

Our nuclear power plants use " heavy water " for that very reason - so that gravity will assure that the short-circuit-current will flow to ground .. With regular old tap water - the electrons might go anywhere ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Chuckles...

Reply to
dpb

Yes, and further confuses the matter. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I'm old enough to remember when there were HV transformers that were cooled with get this - water ! Including my fav transformer cooling - on a EHV international tie-line, no less - where the big old thang would get some extra MVA with the cooling rads being sprayed with water - in addition to the usual oil pumps and cooling fans .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

LOL, I exported more. But in this "every one gets a trophy" society of uneducated people....

Reply to
Leon

LOL!!! That is short for you all. The words I have trouble with, I don't recall hearing them pronounced that way 15+ years ago.

Reply to
Leon

Could be some of them in there too but I'd be willing to bet it is mostly those caught on Youtube boo-hooing like 5 year olds when they learned that Trump won.

So it is getting worse on how words are being pronounced. Even Savannah Guthrie on the Today show was saying but-in the other day, I don't recall her saying it that way in the past. That word is like a sore thumb every time I hear it. That and functionality.

It all falls in line with taking down Confederate flaga, statues, excreta. Anything that reminds any one of a past they would like to forget.

The problem with that is that if you do not study the past/history you are bound to repeat it. Burning books will be next.

Reply to
Leon

You should probably hang around longer before kill filing any one. I would say you might be a recent poster, I don't recall you being on this group in the past few years. Many of us here have been here sine the last millennium. And as we get older we kinda become less tolerant. and go off on a tangent. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Someone's written a lengthy article on his life:

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Very nice!