OT: Electrical plug question

IFF it's a 4-wire circuit.

Reply to
krw

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 10:42:39 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote :

ight next to the washer/dryer, which has a 30 A dryer outlet (unused). Will the electrician be able to use that connection to create an outlet for the treadmill, or will he/she have to run a totally new connection for the 17A from the fusebox?

If it's currently a 3 wire circuit, a ground could be run back to the panel , couldn't it?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't believe that meets code.

Reply to
krw

Really you live in a fantasy world with no building codes?

Reply to
Markem

OK, tell us the specific provision of code that forbids splitting an existing 240v circuit into two 120v circuits by replacing the receptacle and the breaker.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well if you run a 120v circuit off a 240v breaker you are asking for a fire, commom sense not code. If you replace the 240v breaker with 2

120v breakers it will work.

But then Mr. Clarke is alway just looking for an argument.

Reply to
Markem

Ah, residential circuit breakers are *AMP* rated.

HTH

Reply to
Spalted Walt

All this helps answer the original posters question how?

My advice get an electrician in and ask the questions of a pro. Get a price on options.

Which if you read my first reply is in there.

Reply to
Markem

You're the one who asserted that such a thing could be done only in a fantasy world with no building codes.

Reply to
J. Clarke

ote:

m right next to the washer/dryer, which has a 30 A dryer outlet (unused). W ill the electrician be able to use that connection to create an outlet for the treadmill, or will he/she have to run a totally new connection for the

17A from the fusebox?

nel, couldn't it?

Isn't it covered by 250.130(C)?

(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions. The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch- circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of the followin g:

(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described in

250.50

(2) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor

(3) The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure where the bra nch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates

(4) An equipment grounding conductor that is part of another branch circuit that originates from the enclosure where the branch circuit for the recepta cle or branch circuit originates

(5) For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor within the service equipment enclosure

(6) For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar within the service equipment enclosure

Reply to
DerbyDad03

#4 certainly looks like it would cover it. I'm really surprised because future modifications could disconnect the safety ground.

Reply to
krw

Just f*ck off and die, you ass

Reply to
Markem

Actually I would have gone with #3, assuming that was physically possible.

Single ground wire from the receptacle back to the panel. BTDT

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I forgot to mention that I labeled both ends of the ground wire cuz I ain't gonna be around forever. That should cover your safety concern somewhat.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Temper, temper.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No it is contempt, not temper.

Reply to
Markem

No. But at least here in Canada an "edison circuit" is still legal - allowing 2 20 ampo circuits to be run on that 3-wire plus ground cable .

If it is not a 3+ground cable it is still legal to run single 120 volt circuit on the 2 wire circuit and the edison circuit can be split in the "junction box" without a sub-panel - the breaker MUST be a common trip 2 pole 20 amp breaker.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No - you are wrong - because a "240 volt breaker" is a common trip 2 pole 120 volt breaker. It is basically 2 120 volt breakers on opposite sides of the panel wired in series with the center-tap being the shared neutral.

Don't spout off about things you OBVIOUSLY have no knowlege of.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Now THAT is constructive . NOT.

12 year old????
Reply to
Clare Snyder

So my advice to the original poster is get an electrician rather than depend upon the myriad of thoughts expressed here.

Any thoughts on that sir?

Reply to
Markem