OT: Band Saw Information

Hi, I know this may be outside the normal realm of topics, but since in know there is such a wealth of knowledge here waiting to be tapped into, I will ask the question.

I just picked up a second hand 12 in. band saw the other day and was wondering if anyone recognized the tool company and/or could tell me anything about this band saw.

Most of the main frame is cast-iron or aluminium? The wheel gards are cast-aluminium. On the hub of the wheel gards is a round silver badge that says: Walker-Turner Company Inc.

The Driver Line Power Tools SKF Ball Bearing Equipped

Planefield, N.J.

The saw seems to fairly simply constructed, but sturdy and heavy (I know from carrying it ;)).

I guess I hope to find out if this company still exists and if parts, accessories, etc are still available for this saw. Also if anyone happens to have any first hand knowledge or manuals for this saw, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Reply to
Richard Cook

Rich...

Welcome to the fold. I have a Walker-Turner ½" HD Drill Press that is entirely cast iron, and yeah... it has that same large badge. This one was my dad's, and it has a serial number 1 944 so I can only assume it's a vintage '40's machine. My DP is built to old time Unisaw standards it would seem. Very heavy cast iron table and base... but no crank. Fits right in with the Delta Homecraft Jointer he gave me.

If that band saw is built like my drill press, you probably have a very solid machine... and I'd imagine some elbow grease, some paint, and a few tweaks should make it very useable. My father had a 16" or

18" band saw and I think it was WT as well. The thing was about 6'6" tall and of course... weighed about 400+ pounds with the motor. I had no room for it then (different house) so he sold it for a hundred bucks before he passed. Yours sounds like a smaller version, but I'd bet the housing is cast iron.

Some of these old tools can have very useful second winds. I'd love to find a 12" Delta or WT like that around here in the Springfield, MA area (if anyone's thinking of moving up... let me know).

Congrats... nice find.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

A couple links for you

University click on the 'P' then find Plainfield
don't know if this means they have a book in their library or not.

It seems as though they have been out of business for a while. I live 5 minutes from Plainfield NJ and have never heard of them. But I have only lived here about 3 years.

Reply to
Ray

Go to the OWWM (Google it).

Scan down the left hand side of the home page.

Click on the Walker-Turner link.

Burma Shave.

UA100

Reply to