Band saw decision

I have an opportunity to buy a Delta 28-475X 14" 2HP band saw. But I'm going to have to run a 220v line to power it as my 110v circuits are only 20amp. I can get this saw for about the same price as the 1HP model.

I don't currently have a band saw so I don't know what kind of use it'll see at this point.

I'm just wondering if the hassle of running another circuit is worth it. Or put another way, is the additional 1HP that desirable?

Reply to
Duck

Hi Duck,

If you want to resaw, the extra power is well worth it. That is a really nice machine. If you can learn how to resaw well, you can move your work to a whole new realm and save a lot of money on lumber. In my opinion, I would say go for it without question.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

the more power the better the saw get the 2hp over a 1hp any day

I have the 1 1/2 hp saw and love it

len

Reply to
Leonard Shapiro

I'd vote yes. I upgraded bandsaws about a year ago, to a Griz 16"er, which wanted 220V. Along with the dedicated 220, I ended up putting a few new circuits in my shop, and I'm VERY glad I did. Just my opinion... Andy

Reply to
Andy

HP is the least important aspect to a band saw, when properly set up. Your bigger advantage with the X is it's US made vs the chiawanese other models. It's just a better all around machine. If I was going to spend that much for a band saw I would spend more and go for either the laguna or minimax, but if you can get a deal on it then go for it.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

So has something changed? The 28-475X used to be (not so very long ago) a 115/230 V motor, with the 230 rated at 2HP, the 115 wiring yielded a strong 1-3/4 hp but is nameplate rated at 1-1/2 hp. Has it become 230 only?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Basic rule of thumb:

Operate equipment, especially fixed motor loads such as a bandsaw, at highest voltage available.

1) More power delivered to the cutting blade per power $ spent. 2) Less power turned into waste heat (Fewer wasted $) 3) Smaller conductors required (Less Investment)

There is no good reason to operate at a voltage that is lower than available.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Once the circuit is there, it'll always be there!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Lew, the OP said he " *has* to run a 220v line" and that "my 110 circuits are only 20 amps". That was my basis for my question. What you say is true although if the cost or hassle of running a new circuit for a saw that will see intermittant hobby use it high, then it may not make any sense to do so.

Unless something has changed, the stock motor for that unit is multivoltage.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

B A R R Y wrote in news:4Okpi.24030$Rw1.17669 @newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

But in my shop space, the saw will be moved a dozen times...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

And then they'll probably be another tool near the outlet.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Understand.

To me running another circuit is NBD.

For others, it may be a bigger issue.

You can always get a 10-2/w/ground, 25 ft,molded cord set, chop of the ends, wire the correct plug on one end, and the other into the tool.

Lowest cost way to get a cord for a tool installed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have 2 bandsaws: a Delta 14" with a 1/2" 3tpi blade and an ancient Craftsman 12" with a 3/16" blade. That way I can resaw or I can do curves and such without having to change blades. takin' it slow and lazy, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn