Router engraving small numbers

I'd like to use my router to engrave small numbers (about .5" tall). I've tried freehand (using transfer paper to put the desired numbers on the wood) but the results are poor. I was trying to use a 3/64 round nose bit to engrave.

Any suggestions??

Reply to
greatviewcsc

Template.

Reply to
dadiOH

Trophy or sign shop with an engraver or CNC router.

Reply to
Paul Hastings

Reply to
greatviewcsc

Dremel Tool, with the "tile grout" cleaning attachment. Good control and you can see what you are engraving!

Reply to
Bill Hall

Make them of hardboard or ply with a scroll saw? By hand? Shouldn't be all that hard by hand given their size.

Reply to
dadiOH

If you are willing to go a little smaller there are letter/number punch sets that work fine on wood. Clamp a board to give you a straight line to butt the punches against and then all you have to worry about is the spacing, rotation, and that it takes a lot more force to make an 8 than a 1.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Ho many numbers or sets of numbers are you making? I'd suggest either a router duplicator (something like:

) or a router pantograph, if you're making more than one or two.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:60o9a3p74g9k3lbmtj4vtneq561eho9p45@

4ax.com:

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

Dremel tool with the plunge router accessory is perfect for this work. I do it all the time freehand. The only thing that changes is the bit you use. It (the bit used) depends on the effect you want to make. HTH

Reply to
Mr P