PC 1617 Router w/o EVS

I bought a PC 1617 router this past summer and really enjoy using it.

I also use it in a router table as needed and it works great.

Unfortunately, I bought it at Lowe's for what seemed like a good deal (fixed & plunge bases), but, no EVS. Didn't think much of it at the time.

The problem: I planning on building some kitchen cabinet w/recessed panel doors soon and will need to use a 3" panel raiser bit. I've read that fixed speed (~22000 rpm) routers should not be used with bits larger than 1" in dia. Is this true? How about when mounted in a table, secured to a workbench?

Or, could an external power regulator (reducing input voltage?) be used to reduce the speed? Without the risk of damaging the motor?

I'm planning on using red oak, if it matters.

ThankX again all,

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Yes, the cutter speed of a 3" bit @ 22k is quite fast. Sometimes it's fast enough to toss carbide pieces from the bit, which may become lodged in _you_. Not a good thing.

Still unsafe.

I'd buy a variable speed router. If you do much woodworking you'll see that multiple routers are actually a good thing. You can leave the EVS router in the table, and use the fixed speed unit for freehand work.

You could also buy a vertically oriented raised panel bit, build a tall fence, and use the existing router @ it's fixed speed.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Yes. Any router spinning at the speed actually.

You still should not. Actually Jesada has a speed chart for different sized bits. IIRC you need to in the neighborhood of 12-15,000 rpm for a bit that large... The problem is not being able to hold the router rather it is the tip speed of the bit as it slams into the wood. a 1/2: bit spinning at 22,000 rmp has a tip speed of 32 mph. A 3" bit spinning at 22,000 rpm has a tip speed of 196 mph... Something will come a part other than the wood.

Yes. BUT, you have a middle weight router. I personally have a 1617EVS. I would Never consider spinning a 3" diameter bit in this router even at a slow speed. These routers are not built to handle bits this heavy and large and hold up for as long as they should. If you are going to only do a few feet and thats it, a speed controller may suffice. I personally recomend a router in the "sold as" range of 3hp and up. They really are not 3hp but are sold as such. Look for 15 amp and up.

The harder the wood, the more strain you will be placing on the router. ALSO, regardless of which router you use, do not tmake the cut in less than

3 or 4 passes. For the best and smoothest finish, make the last pass a very shallow cut removing very little wood. Think of it more as a clean up pass.

Good Luck

Reply to
Leon

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ."

Good suggestion, but there is a draw back with the vertical raised panel bits that the horizonal ones dont have. They can only cut in straight lines. If you have an arch you are out of luck with a vertical bit.

Reply to
Leon

I also have the 1617EVS, and have made many solid wood and MDF door panels, along with many, many feet of MDF molding, all with large bits.

I wouldn't buy it for a multi-person production shop, but I don't see any problem with it all for a serious hobbyist.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Thanks for the feedback. BTW, It's a Bosch unit not a Porter Cable, glad you all knew what I was talking about ;) Rough day, glad the weekend is here.

Is Bosch's 1619EVS, interchangable with the 1617's bases?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Well, I resaw Ipe that is 5" wide on my TS in 2 passes and most would not suggest that either. ;~) BUT it does help pay the bills.

Reply to
Leon

Door making bits should only be used in a table. Large panel raising bits should be run at about 10,000rpm. Vertical panel raising bits can be run a 22,000 rpm but you are limited to straight cuts, curves cannot be routed.

Have a look here for >I bought a PC 1617 router this past summer and really enjoy using it. >

Reply to
Sprog

Ron,

All good suggestions so far, but this may be just the "excuse" to purchase a nice shaper...

Reply to
Rumpty

I just bought a Bosch 1617EVSPK and I will be doing raised panels with a large diameter bit. Reading several posts in regards to raised panels, a Bosch 1617 should not be an issue.

Have you had any bad personal experiences ?

Daniel

Reply to
D. Martin