Which router to mount?

My plunge router bit the dust this week and I was thinking about buying one of those kits that contain the plunge and fixed base routers. I assumed that the plunge router would be used on the benchtop and the fixed router would be attached to the router table. However, when I saw several brands in the store, it looked like the plunge base had screw holes for the table attachment and the fixed was to be used stand-alone. Was my thinking backwards?

Reply to
Thermometer

You can use either depending on your personal preference. I don't know how big of a router you need, but if I was looking at the smaller routers (like the PC 690), I would probably opt for the new PC 890, which allows you to adjust the depth through the table. The fixed base's depth adjustments just don't let you to fine tune. I personally have a Triton and a couple of PC 690's. I love my Triton, but the thing is a beast. Don't know if you want to consider a 3 HP model. If you do, the Triton is a great router.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34

A lot of plunge router bases have a kit that you can add that allows you to easily adjust the height from above the table. I have the porter cable 690 set with a fixed and plunge base. The fixed base works in the router table, but it can be hard to adjust since I have to have one hand twisting the motor under the table while the other hand measures the bit height above the table, all while being able to see the bit. I'm planning on getting a higher hp router ro replace the 690 in this job. If I can't afford a router lift, I'll definitly get one of these plunge base height adjusters.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I use a plunge in a router table, and it functions as a poor man's lift kit. I have done this for more than a year, and it works great.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

I use a plunge in a router table, and it functions as a poor man's lift kit. I have done this for more than a year, and it works great.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

You can mount either one to a router table. It all depends on which one you find easier to handle.

I use a PC 890 with a fixed base. This base makes it quite easy to set the depth from the top of the table. Jim

Reply to
Jim

With the Bosch 1617EVSPK, only the fixed base is recommended for under-table mounting. I read somewhere that mounting the plunge base could "damage the base." Note sure how or why, but there you have it. BD

Reply to
bdahms

There are some who preach that you have to use a fixed base router to get the best accuracy in a table setup. Personally if I was replacing my only router I would go for a multi-base kit. That way you can use it either way in the table; and have the utility of both kinds of machines for hand use. I have a Bosch 1617 and love it. The Porter Cables are good looking machines too but I have not used one.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Reply to
nospambob

I have 2 regular Router tables, plus both an horizontal and overhead tables...ALL have fixed based inexpensive DeWalt 610's mounted in them... all the time...

My Plunge router is reserved for hand use only...

The little 610's are only 1 hp but to be honest I never felt they were underpowered for what I do... adjustments are quick and simple ... I just do not have the need...or want for a router lifter... .

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.