new router

I just recently borrowed a freinds router to put a nice edge on a radiator cover that I made. Needless to say, I must have one of my own. Can anyone give me advice on what manufacturers make a high quality router? I am willing to spend $100-200. Also, what features should I look for (eg. horsepower, amps housing material...)? How about bits? What is a good company to order from? I have seen assortments at Sears, and this might be a good way to start but eventually I would need more variety and quality. Thanks for the help.

Doug

Reply to
kilerbbb

You can get a lot of information about routers here:

DeWalt 621 plunge router with an integral dust collection is a good choice if this will be your only router.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Reply to
Ramsey

My first router was a Craftsman 1/4" only and no dust collection. Additionally, it is impossible to use for precise multi-pass work because the base never tightens to the body in the same alignment at different depths. I now have two "real" plunge routers that work nicely. I recommend these features:

1) Plunge. (Or separate plunge and fixed bases.) 2) 1/4" and 1/2" bit capability. 3) Built-in dust collection. 2nd the DW621 recommendation. Mine works nicely in a router table.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I don't necessarily agree with this. If I only had ONE router, I'd rather have one of the 2-2.25 EVS HP Bosch, Porter Cable, or DeWalt models. All three are available in nice kits with two bases.

While the 2 banger won't spin a large a bit with as much authority as the monster will, the smaller router can easily make two passes if necessary. For the majority of the work, the smaller units are lighter and much more user friendly. When it's usable, I find a fixed base to be more accurate and easier to depth adjust than a locked plunge base.

Not to mention that the poster mentioned $100-200 as a price range. Most good 3 HP plungers are $300 and up. The 2HP kits can be had for $210-220 on sale, sometimes less.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

If you can only have one, I recommend the Bosch 1617EVS kit, which includes both plunge and fixed bases.

Porter Cable and DeWalt make competitors to the Bosch. You can't really go wrong with any of the three.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
Ramsey

Bosch 1617EVS or 1613EVS, and an anniversary set from MLCS. That's what I have, it's about $200 total, and it will work for you for years.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I have routers from all three and prefer the Bosch.

Phil

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Phil

===================================== Ok..I have to say for someones 1st router and with a budget of under 200 bucks I do not agree at all with any of your choices....

I own at least 6 routers...4 of which are set up in dedicated machines...(a couple of regular tables, a horizontal table, an overhead (pin) table... and 3 of those are low 1 HP routers... one of the regualr tables does however have a 3 Hp unit in it

I also own a shaper so you have to take that into account also..

The two hand held machines I own are the low HP Dewalt fixed base that I use 90 percent of the time the other is also a DeWalt but the plunge model...

I am not new to woodworking...(40+ years) and Honestly I get along fine with less then 3 HP...and most of the time I have no problem using a fixed base router...(got to admit however that the plunge when needed IS NEEDED..and that is why I own one...

My suggestion to the poster would be the PC "set" with both fixed and plunge bases...

I am not of the TIM ALLEN school of though in my woodshop .. In my garage I do profess to be of that shcool ... The sign over my Garage door reads BIG BLOCK BLVD...BUT give me a 427 over a 454 every day of the week...lol

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G