Generation X helpers

I was doing some work at a church that entailed cutting off some door bottoms to accomodate new carpeting. The church contact that hired me asked me to use his son as a helper both to reduce the costs and to teach the kid something about construction. This kid is about 16 YO.

He is a pretty industrious and a good worker, just clueless about construction.

When it came time for me to cut off the door bottoms, I set up my saw horses and laid some carpet across them to save the finish. I sent him out to my truck to get a new blade for my circular saw. While he was gone, I laid the first door up and marked my line. I took out my utility knife and began scoring the cut line when he walked into the room. He stood there watching me for a minute, then laughed.

I looked up and he said: "Man,...use the skilsaw to cut those off, that knife will take all day!"

Reply to
Robert Allison
16 y.o. probably qualifies as generation Y now. I'm a gen-x and I have a 13 year old daughter.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I stand corrected. Anyone under 30 seems to belong to another dimension, I just don't know the proper names anymore.

Reply to
Robert Allison

The generation following the post-World War II baby boom, especially people born in the United States and Canada from the early 1960s to the late 1970s.

Reply to
Leon

Robert Allison wrote: [snip]

LOL Yes! Good help is hard to find!

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

My generation is supposed to be famous for slacking, but the younger kids I see now take it to a whole new level. My kids come home telling stories about the other kids at school.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Well at least he was somewhat astute. I've met some who wouldn't have been bright enough to figure out the better way to do it.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Could be that he knows more than you give him credit for...sounds like he got you! Mark

Reply to
Mark