Bent Posts

A year ago I purchased some green red oak 3x3's in preparation for using them for bed posts. I stacked and stickered them to airdry for a year. I've planed them smooth, and one of them has developed a severe curve.

The post is 6 feet long and 2/5 inches thick at this point.

Can anyone recommend a process by which I might take the bow out of it?

Bill

Reply to
bill.mcnutt

You can try re-hydrating it, and some of the bow may temporarily leave. But, if you removed material from all surfaces so the new equilibrium was obtained uniformly, it's almost certain the bow will return when it again dries. If you can constrain it sufficiently, you might force it to dry in a position where it doesn't move, but the odds then are pretty high that after you have your bed made it will then decide to move destroying all your efforts. My recommendation is another piece of material for the purpose -- but I suppose the question implies you only got four blanks for the four legs originally...

Wish I had better news/ideas...

--

Reply to
dpb

You don't want to hear this, but it's time for some new material.

What you have can maybe get used for projects that can use short lengths of raw stock.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett