OT: Anybody using Thunderbird 3?

It has a nice new feature that I think should have been there from the beginning. When showing the message header, the entries in the "references" field are now click-able links that take you back to any of the other messages to which the current message is a reply. Couple that with the "Back" button in the main toolbar (to return to where you were) and you now have a workable method of following a thread of discussion up and down the hierarchy while in the "sort by date" view.

(Hope that makes sense).

Reply to
Steve Turner

Add "Mark all read" addon and there is not much more you could asked for.

I down loaded 3.0 as soon as it was available and like it very well. I just discovered that if you type attach it brings up the attachment menu. There are probably under discovered goodies.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I've been using Thunderbird with gmail imap for some time now. It is the best way to keep email synced between my desktop and laptop. I was keeping my addressbook synced with the sync-kolab plugin, but it's broken in Tbird 3.0 - temporarily I hope.

As an aside, Firefox 3.5 with the X-marks plugin does work to keep your bookmarks synced.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Makes perfect sense ... did not know there was an upgrade, but sure enuff. Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
Swingman

Beware that the upgrade to 3.x has some bumps in the road, especially as regards to your old 2.x configuration. Be sure to: a) Backup your old profile and b) Read the 3.x release notes.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Yep, I have it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Damn nice upgrade!

I've always barely tolerated Thunderbird's interface, but there has been nothing else better since the last few Windows OS's foisted the totally unnecessary bling bling interface of "Windows Live whatthefuck".

This is the first version (3.0) of Thunderbird that is finally starting to allow the way _I_ want to work/interface with a mail client.

Really glad to see this ...

Reply to
Swingman

I tried an earlier version and it gave my cat warts.

If you don't have a cat, you should be okay.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, I'm diggin' it too. I really like the new tabbed window feature.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I looked into it but then I discovered that my birthday reminder tool will not work with it. Decided I would live with V 2. until that is tidied up.

Reply to
jo4hn

Were you using 2.0 before? If so, how well did things go as far as importing archives and old e-mails?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

The release notes say to install in a separate folder, but "update" worked fine for me.

I was using 2.x before, had it on two machines so wasn't too worried about a barfed installation. I just let it "upgrade" the installation on my laptop and had no issues whatsoever .. all settings and email remained intact and nothing thus far has appeared to have changed.

YMMV ...

Did have one brief issue where newsgroup messages did not appear in the message pane, but that went away by deselecting the message pane on "View" and reselecting it.

I also chose not to use "Smart Folders", as I have gotten used to their old folder system and didn't like my cheese being moved. I am using the new ToolBar, however.

Only add-on I use is "Signature Switch".

FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman

Don't know how others have fared, but upgrading to 3.0 from 2.0 worked fine for me - all archives and old emails came across correctly, the structure was just organized differently. Only problem I had was that on 2.0 I had to enter my email account name and password to access my ISP account for sending emails, but I got an error on that with 3.0, and had to uncheck a "use account name and password" box hidden somewhere down in the Account Settings area before I could send outgoing emails.

YMMV

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Oh yeah, the "Smart Folders"... I turned that off right away; I don't like all my inboxes being mixed together.

I did have a few problems with multiple copies of newsgroup posts showing up in the same navigation panel (where there was really only one) and some other small oddities I don't remember, but those all seemed to have settled down and gone away.

Sounds like my setup is virtually identical to yours, but I'm also running the "QuoteCollapse" add-on.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Thanks for the heads-up. I installed the update without problem - everything migrated without problem, and the only changes I made were to move icons into the main toolbar and get rid of the prompt I used to get when the next unread message was in a different folder.

The only thing I miss is being able to use the spacebar to page down through the current message (which normally only happens when the poster fails to trim/snip).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Now periodically getting duplicates of wRec messages, although it appears to be a bug in the GUI, and not duplicates in the database itself ... 3.x, next!

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks. I downloaded it, but it's sitting in a folder right now. Things are working and I always hate to mess with that.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On 12/29/2009 10:22 AM Tim Daneliuk spake thus:

Hmm, that gives me pause, as I'm another of those who doesn't like my cheese being moved, as someone else put it upthread. Do you know which settings get messed with?

I suppose I could just make copies of user.js, prefs.js or whatever the hell those files are, and then hand-copy the stuff I want back into the new ones (I like to use non-standard fonts, for example).

That's something I really dislike about all the Mozilla software: the programmer-ishness of it all. Obviously written by geeks who take great delight in editing Javascript configuration files and such. HELLO: a lot of folks out there don't want to deal with that crap. Give us a real user interface for dealing with all those configuration settings. (I will admit that there is, at least, a very rich set of config settings, which you can see (and set) in your Mozilla web browser by going to about:config. Problem is that there's no decent (meaning comprehensive and readable by the average non-computer-geek human) documentation for all that stuff.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I believe that for most non geek users they will find that TB 3.0 will load and run just find. My main problem was to learn some new settings and how they affected the program. One example; I had a little trouble setting up the toolbar like I want. TB 3.0 gives you two toolbars. My solution not be greedy and unclick one of the mail toolbars. (Right click toolbar)

There are many new subtle features in TB3.0 that I am still learning, such as the attachment menu when you type the word in a new message.

I would recommend anyone who has not highly customized TB2.0 to upgrade to 3.0. If you have taken the time to highly customize 2.0 you will enjoy having something new to spend hours customizing and changing.

Bottom line I am quite satisfied with the TB 3.0

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Likewise ... except for the apparent bug in the GUI that shows a duplicate of your message in the message pane.

Still trying to figure a workaround for that.

Reply to
Swingman