Compression cap

I'm trying to seal off the water line that runs from under my sink to the fridge. Ace sent me home with a 1/4" compression cap--no ferrule, no cone seal. It leaks. Some here say don't use tape; others say do use it. I tried both ways. The copper line to the fridge has a male piece that does into the line, so I think I need something that the compression cap will compress. Your thoughts?

Reply to
Mary Bricker-Jenkins

Does this line not have its own shutoff valve ? If not it should. I would suggest using a valve to close the line off.

Reply to
grampy303

That is best idea. Get a Sharkbite 1/4" valve for about $10. No soldering needed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There should be a little rubber piece in that cap that seals against the fitting. Maybe it just got lost

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't understand what exactly these "caps" are supposed to go on. I had never heard of one before and thought it must be a cap that would go over the end of an unused compression FITTING. But I looked at HD and the description clearly says it used to seal off TUBING.

Later in the Q/A's they waffle between that usage and that it's used to close off a fitting, like when they identify the threads. If if was some kind of cap to go over the outside of tubing, bite on and seal it, then I would not expect it to have a standard thread. So, a related question, where exactly is the OP trying to use this? I would think the HD description is wrong, that it's used like you say on the male end of a fitting. In that hot mess at HD some of the q/a's talk about needing a washer, so I suspect you are right, one is needed and that is his problem. If he has the old copper tubing, doesn't need to ever re-install it, he could just cut off two inches of the end that connected at the sink, squeeze that end closed, solder it and then re-install that stub.

Reply to
trader_4

The original post is missing from my reader. The fittings I'm familiar with all had a cone shaped piece that would clamp onto the tube. There was the main piece, the cone, and then a nut that forced the cone into the main piece clamping it onto the tube. Everything was brass.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Why not take the tube off at the valve? Then that compression cap will seal it off. Sharkbite probably makes a slip on cap for copper tube. They are not my favorite tho. You are expecting an O ring to last forever.

Reply to
gfretwell

Mine too. How do you suppose that happens?

Reply to
micky

Thank you. I found a ferrule that might work inside the compression cap. There is no valve under the sink.

Reply to
mbj

THX for your thoughts. I found a ferrule & washer at Ace and will try those.

Reply to
mbj

The chap at Ace--"the helpful place"--didn't tell me that that the compression cap needed a ferrule and washer. Will be trying these tonight.

Reply to
mbj

If the ferrule 7 washer don't work, I'll get the sharkbite. TNX!

Reply to
mbj

No such luck :-( but thanks for your reply.

Reply to
mbj

That will be my next attempt. TNX

Reply to
mbj

If that's a serious question, the answer may be that you deleted it either automatically or manually, or even more likely you simply marked it 'read' and your current view only shows unread articles. In the latter case, you can see it by showing 'read' articles or 'all' articles.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

It is.

I haven't deleted anything auto or manually in weeks, and I wouldn't delete a serious thread about water at all, exept under really strange circumstances

No, Agent shows read articles unless you go out of your way not to show them.

Plus this happens in a new thread about once a month. Usually or maybe always from homemoaners, like this one was.

I'm using eternal-september.

Reply to
micky

The original can usually be found here if it helps:

FromTheRafters

Greg, you're replying to the original post that I never saw.

I think that's because you use giganew and I use eternal-september.

Maybe giganews is better when it comes to homemoaner posts?

Reply to
micky

And iiuc you use AIOE.

Reply to