OT? Amenities in homes (2023 Update)

But the cost of lighting is. Florescent... CFL... LED.

Reply to
HeyBub

last year and everytime I walked out of that closet during trimout I reached over to the wall plate to switch off the light.

Reply to
Swingman

There were a lot of vodka bottles in there also ... :)

Recycled glass material is getting BIG in high end kitchens, and I'm starting to actually like the look ... it was in the running in that kitchen you and I are fixing to crank up on, but they went with quartz instead.

There are some recycled glass grades that are the most expensive counter top material I've seen, some north of $200 s/f.

The substrate is built in, so it fits right in with the thinner counter tops that are also the fad these days ... so you can make the base cabinets 3/4" taller.

What I don't like about it is that the base color can vary from piece to piece, which really makes matching seams an issue.

Then, most of the folks who make this stuff locally could use a good ass kicking ... they have that barefoot "artiste" mentality that does not go with good business practices .. like on time delivery.

Reply to
Swingman

"HeyBub" wrote in news:2cednfmhNdp5jPvRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Sunlight's the cheapest of them all.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Especially at night when nobody's using it.

Reply to
Robatoy

innews:2cednfmhNdp5jPvRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Nah, the Chinese use it then, when it's cheaper.

Reply to
krw

innews:2cednfmhNdp5jPvRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Ah, you betcha. There are lighting kits available for Solatubes nowadays. They look funny from the outside at night, kinda spacy.

Larry Jaques

On Aug 11, 6:02=A0pm, "Nonnymus" wrote: [snipped for brevity]

One amenity I will now insist on is one of those huge frying pan-sized shower heads with its own city-water booster pump.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Rain Heads"? We have one in the ceiling, but no booster pump. It's OK, since we have 9' ceilings. Otherwise it wouldn't work at all. The problem is that the shower has no other source of water and being 6'x6' (water from the rain head doesn't come anywhere close to the walls) it's very difficult to clean. I've been threatening to put another head in, but I'm not sure how to do a diverter for it and I *hate* plumbing.

Reply to
krw

...and now the Nanny State wants to regulate the water those rain heads use.... just when we fell in love with ours. Commiesunsabitches.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

The local utility company sent out "free" showerheads to everybody. Along with a passionate plea to "save water". Made it sound like a divine mission from God or something.

Since it was nicer than the one I had, I stupidly installed it. It immediately created a number of leaks that dripped down into the basement. I had to do some repairs. Every thing worked fine until I put that showerhead from Hell on there.

I called them up. Of course, they acted stupid and refused to compensate us for the damage that their "free" showerhead caused.

The lesson learned? BEWARE of strangers offering "free" showerheads!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well, yes! I was taught when I was a child, to NEVER follow some weird guy to help him look for his lost puppy OR, taking a free shower head from a stranger. Some thing go without saying.

Reply to
Robatoy

------------------- First mistake was not to pop out the flow restrictor in the new shower head.

Usually it is little more than an orifice plate.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Flow restrictor? Orifice plate?

Why does this sound like a girl I used to know?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

------------------------ Cause you slept thru Fluid Mechanics.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

NASCAR fans Luuv restrictor plate showering.

Reply to
Robatoy

Some years ago, our town gave us "Shower Saver" brand heads. I like it much better than the regular heads. The amount of water is sufficient and it has a nice pattern.

It is impossible to get a decent shower at a hotel though, they all suck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

i used recycled glass (old dining room tabletops) as some of the aggregate when i poured my concrete bar tops. this left clear looking holes into the colored concrete.

regards, charlie phx, az

Reply to
chaniarts

Here's that "recycled glass" counter top that Leon was talking about:

apparently the blue bits are the vodka bottles that were hand picked from some of their favorite bars in the Austin area.

I hated it when I first saw it and thought it look like a barber pole on a small town street corner, but it has since grown on me. I'm also color blind, so the colors don't make an impression ... it was the "busyness" and the light color that originally made me dislike it, and, for a while, thought it simply ruined _my_ beautiful cabinet job. :)

I guess I was getting tired of that dark, granite that everyone wants around here.

I also care for the busy, wild, wood grain pattern that the client wanted .. but it's not my kitchen, and Leon and I just try to build them what they want.

Reply to
Swingman

Nice,

I have never seen toe kick drawers, I don't think they would work for me though, being I just flooded the kithchen for the second time in 3 years.

CRS moment, walked off and left both sinks plugged and water running, thirty towels later the kithchen was mostly dry. sigh.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk