OT? Amenities in homes (2023 Update)

I posted a similar inquiry to the home repair newsgroup and would appreciate any suggestions for other, active, newsgroups where it would get a good response. === I have a lifelong background in real estate and am now retired. I'd enjoy discussing the differences in upscale single family residences found in various parts of the country, if anyone is interested.

I am now retired to NV. Here, after looking at various custom and semi-custom homes, I was surprised to learn I'd not "seen it all," yet. Besides the expected features and amenities found in most upscale homes today, such as commercial appliances in kitchens, media wiring, built in vac, granite counters, cabinetry in the closets and multiple car garages, I have seen some new things. These include a separate sink for vegetable preparation, usually located near the one or two refrigerators, two dishwashers, pot filler faucet by the cooktop, outlets inside bathroom drawers for curlers and hair dryers, fireplaces in major bathrooms and the master suite, steam showers and (always) an in-ground pool with spa.

Upscale flooring in Nevada is typically Travertine in most areas and carpet in the bedrooms, with large tile being acceptable if it matches the theme of the home. Ceilings are usually 10' in the "lower" semi-custom homes and 12' to 15' in the better custom ones. Doors are almost always 8', solid, and have Baldwin or Emco hardware. Windows are low E double pane, of course, and insulation is extensive. Exterior walls are 6" and the better homes have

5/8" drywall throughout. In some of the better custom homes, the front door(s) are massive iron with swing out leaded glass inserts, weighing in around 400# each.

Another feature seen in the upscale homes is stepped, or coffered, ceilings- many with crown mold as well on the vertical portions. Pot shelves are found in even the tract homes. Drywall corners are rounded, rather than square, and there is every conceivable finish to the drywall other than flat and smooth. Even in the multi million dollar homes, though, trim and baseboards are almost always painted and of man-made material, rather than hardwood. Hardwood trim and doors are simply not evident.

What amenities, features and the like do you find in your own area of the country, such as the above?

Nonny

Reply to
Nonnymus

Hey Nonny. Crossposting, in general, is bad newsgroup etiquette, but when it's the same question, and applicable to a few newsgroups, it's better to have all of the answers in the one question/thread. Otherwise people will have to read the responses in each newsgroup separately, and if it's an active thread, you'll get a fair bit of duplication of responses. That just wastes people's time.

RicodJour

Currently My wife and I are preparing to build a new home. Certainly not high end but it will most likely have most of what you have mentioned. I suppose it is all relative as a for instance your mention of 10' ceilings being in lower custom homes. Our 30 year old "starter home" has 10 foot ceilings. Rounded corner sheet rock has been the norm in all new construction for 15 + years. Hard wood trim is common but typically a marginal up grade. What is a Pot Shelf? Skupltured/stepped ceilings and crown molding are available in starter homes. Fancy front doors are common. Starting to see fire places offered in the back yard patio. Granite is common place and a 3 car garage is becoming a common neighborhoow sighting for homes in new neighborhoods. Our new home will have a 3 car garage.

At the moment the home we are most interested in and appointed the way we want will have, 10" ceilings, Island kitchen, extra study room, 3 bedrooms, formal dining, breakfast nook, 3 car garage, brick 3 sides, extral high roof line, tile in all rooms except bedrooms, oval tub and seperate shower, remote controlled fire place, radient barrier decking, double pained low-e windows, Cat 5 media wiring to name the most obvious and just under 2100 sq. ft. single story. $148K.

Reply to
Leon

When I looked at new homes in the Des Moines, IA area *every one* had a three-car garage. Only one of the several tens of new homes here in Alabama had one, and that one was almost the identical size as a normal two-car, only with three doors. The trickery wasn't evident until I measured. ;-) I would certainly go for a three-car garage, if I built.

10" ceilings? ;-)

Our house isn't "high end" by any means, but it's certainly not a starter, either. We have 2600ft^2, 3 bedroom, 3-1/2 baths. There are granite tops everywhere except the laundry (5 surfaces in the kitchen, living room shelves, and the four bathrooms). Fireplace, formal dining, great room (kitchen, living, and breakfast separated by a bar area). The master suite is about 1/3 of the main floor, with two bedrooms upstairs. 9' ceilings, with cathedral ceilings over the great room (not kitchen or breakfast areas).

The master suite is connected by two hallways to the great room, with the master bath on one end of the second and to walk-in closets leading to the bedroom at the other end of the hall. Whirlpool tub and 6'x6' shower, with rain head, in master bath, all tiled. The master bath is about 12'x15'. The other two full bathrooms have the crappy one-piece fiberglass tubs and surrounds. This sort of master suite setup is quite common here. Almost all new homes had similar.

The other nice feature was the screened in porch and a space big enough over the garage to build a shop (current project ;-).

Reply to
krw

Sounds like that would take care of my needs too. That's a lotta house for 148K, at least in my neck of the woods. I assume that's no basement and not including the lot?

Reply to
d.williams

I think all these architects, designers, etc. read the same books.

Here, for upscale, Interior: stone and solid wood exposed beams (cypress being one of the premiums) are favorites. Stucco exterior. Quite a few arched windows & doors, rather than squared. Landscape: Italian & Greek themes are popular... some western/ranch (USA), but often a combo of different ones, for particular areas of the lawn.

For moderate housing, 250K - 500K, similar amenities as above, but many of the homes are built 10' apart, in many subdivisions (as with

100K-250K homes)... no lawn to speak of. Packed in, this way, takes away from all the expense put into the home, in my opinion.... It's not a home, but simply a house.

For some with a bit of land, 2 - 5 acres in town or immediate outskirts, the classic barn (smartly painted), for an outbuilding, hasn't completely disappeared, yet, but its function is now for boat storage, small tractor/mower, maybe a small flatbed trailer, air compressor, misc storage, etc. .... electricity, plumbing....

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

You mean a 1000 SF workshop, right? Or is SWMBO reading over your shoulder? ;)

What's the fourth side?

If I might make an observation about siding... Around here you'll see some homes which I call Colorform homes. Remember those plastic sticky things where kids would put a sticky dress cutout on the two dimensional figure of a girl? They were just applied. When they do that with siding - just apply it like it's painted on - it becomes analogous to a Colorform toy.

Brick and stone are the bones of the house and usually show the best when they are designed to work that way. Some house styles, like Federalist houses, pretty much require all brick veneer. But if the house is not such a style, having the brick/stone closer to the ground and edges and corners, then transitioning to another style of siding (such as stucco) between and above the brick/stone, can look sharper and more distinctive than just having it all one way of the other.

Tudor houses, when well done, are good examples (though this link isn't the best it does give the idea)

is a remodeled box of a house that's been broken up with the stone - it's on the way, but not quite there yet.
another from that site:
's a what not to do picture - too busy and arbitrarily done siding:

RicodJour

I'm assuming that that $148K is for the house built on your lot, right? This is what $140K gets you around here:

here meaning about ten miles away - closest I could find, and not exactly what you'd call a good area, but at least it includes all

1/8 acre!

This one really hurts:

's on the market for less than half of what it sold for four years ago. This one's about 15 miles away.

RicodJour

What area of the country would this be in? The price is a bit lower than found here in NV, but not my much. We have actual new starter homes advertised in the $80/sf range, but by the time you are ready to live in them, completing what's left off, you're at $100. To get to where you're talking, it'd be $150/sf or more.

FWIW, a pot shelf, as they're called here, is a decorative "step" about 30" or so from a dinette, dining room or living room wall, presumably to set greenery, decorative plates or pots, or vases on. It's near the ceiling and usually reached by a step ladder.

Reply to
Nonnymus

Garages here are incredible. In the Midwest, a good 2-car would be 22 X 22 or even 24' deep. Here, if you get 20', it's considered a jumbo. Doors for a 2-car are almost always 16' wide and singles are 8' wide. It's common to see a single and double door side by side. However, the single garage is only 14' or so deep and really intended for storage. Since storage isn't something builders think will sell for much, it's absolutely minimal in tract and even semi-custom homes. We see many whole subdivisions where people park on the drive so that they can use the garage for storage. I've seen homes advertised with 4-car garages, only to see a single 16' door. The person will explain that "the garage is extra deep, so I'm calling it a

4-car."

Nonny

Reply to
Nonnymus

What part of the country?

similar amenities as above, but

I seem to see that home exteriors remain a bit static, while the extra money is spent on inside and back yard amenities, here in NV.

A half acre lot in Las Vegas/Henderson is considered huge, and usually includes a parking area for an RV. We had 6 wooded acres previously, so the difference is appalling. \ \ Nonny

in town or immediate

Reply to
Nonnymus

Lafayette, Louisiana

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Oh, damn Sonny,

I've had some odd connections with Lafayette, once back in the eighties, me and a cohort were threatened at gunpoint by a robber that had just knocked off a gas station in Lafayette, fortunately, neither of us or the gas station attendant were injured.

Then some years later my (ex)wife ran off with a Cajun from there. I don't hold it against Cajuns or Lafayette, best thing that ever happen to me.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Plus, neat roff, goptta love all those nested peaks and valleys.

Reply to
dadiOH

Houston suburbs.

A good time to buy a house in this area. Since this last tax break expired, sales have slowed considerably and volume builders are starting to feel the pinch, again.

I've looked at Leon's floor plan and it is an excellent deal, and a sign of the times. And Leon certainly knows more than enough about construction to be comfortable with the build quality.

I certainly can't build a comparable home in the near SW area for that sf price. Then again, I couldn't give away a single story house where I build, even though I would prefer one myself and think it is a smarter choice.

AAMOF, if it weren't for SWMBO, who's business is her passion and extremely location sensitive, I'd consider selling and following Leon's "upgrade" to a four car garage. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Living in the Houston area there are no basements but yes the price is on a lot in a 2 year old neighborhood. Actually about 30 miles SW of down town Houston. We currently live about 12 miles SW of down town.

Reply to
Leon

You mean a 1000 SF workshop, right? Or is SWMBO reading over your shoulder? ;)

LOL, no more like 540 sq ft. I am dealing with 380 now.

What's the fourth side?

Painted Hardi Plank, all exterior other than brick and shingles is Hardi products.

If I might make an observation about siding... Around here you'll see some homes which I call Colorform homes. Remember those plastic sticky things where kids would put a sticky dress cutout on the two dimensional figure of a girl? They were just applied. When they do that with siding - just apply it like it's painted on - it becomes analogous to a Colorform toy.

Brick and stone are the bones of the house and usually show the best when they are designed to work that way. Some house styles, like Federalist houses, pretty much require all brick veneer. But if the house is not such a style, having the brick/stone closer to the ground and edges and corners, then transitioning to another style of siding (such as stucco) between and above the brick/stone, can look sharper and more distinctive than just having it all one way of the other.

This particular bilder does not offer many options in that reguard however he is 15-20% less expensive than his competition. We do have the option to have brick on all 4 sides but to tell you the truth I would prefer no brick and all Hardi.

Reply to
Leon

Houston metro area.

Ohh! yes those are pretty common place, not unusual to see several in a home. My wife refers to them as dust collectors that will be hard to get to to vacuum. From what I have seen in most homes that I have done some work in, her observations are correct. In fact many I have seen require more than a common 6' step ladder to reach. They are often 3-4' deep and at least 10' from the floor in 2 story homes. The are best viewed from a stair way or cat walk.

Reply to
Leon

I still remember my father, when looking for a home back in 1950 or so, turning up his nose at brick veneer. None of that "fake" stuff for him, he wanted a real brick house - and he found one!

I'm guessing that the '50s were about the time that brick veneer started being used to lower costs.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We have our share of misfits.... and some of them aren't even politicians, either.

North side of town?

.... and we have our share of both of those kind, too, some having been known to hop from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny