holmes on homes brown insulation?

Hello,

I was wondering if any "Holms On Homes" fans can fill me in on this. There is a brown/beige batts of insulation that he uses now and then. I noticed he uses no gloves, mask, or glasses. I doesn't appear like fiberglass, and I'm curious, what is it?

thanks,

tom

Reply to
LayPerson Tom

Actually it has a green cast to the insulation but doesn't show up well under the TV lighting. It is mineral wool that is firmly pressed into batts, not loose and fluffy as it used to be many years ago. They make a special extra heavy sound insulation as well. The company is Roxul. Their website is

EXT

Noticed that if you select America, you only get commercial and industrial applications. However, if you select Canda, you get residential as well.

Is this stuff safe for home application, and unfinished rooms?

tom

Reply to
LayPerson Tom

BTW, forgot to say thanks!

Tom

Reply to
LayPerson Tom

I've been using it. It's made from rocks (so the Roxul sales rep at Home depot said). It is fire proof and it repels water.

I'm very sensitive to fiberglass insulation, so Roxul is a blessing for me. It's a bit more expensive than fiberglass; however, it has a higher R value (R14 as opposed to R12 for fiberglass).

It is quite heavy, but stays in place when doing a ceiling.

A bread knife is used for cutting. Or you can by a Roxul specific knife for about $5.00. It is very sharp - have to be careful.

The instructions state a mask should be used.

As a home remodeller I'm very pleased with it.

Regards, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

You are all very close. Most ( not all) of the Roxul products are made from lava rock. The rock is heated to an incredible temperature and the filaments are spun into mats or bats ( not sure of the correct word) .The stuff is mainly used as fire proofing material and has outstanding acoustic suppression properties. Best of all as mentioned is that you can handle it with your bare hands.

Claude in Canada

Reply to
claude