OT - A Good Day

Went to Lowes to get a refund on extras from the well project. Stopped for an ice cream cone on the way home.

Pulled out in the right lane, and, as usual, put the pedal down about half-way, just to hear the pipes, love those pipes. On the left I had noticed a black whatever annoying type of import coming up fast enough to catch up with me, apparently with the intent of whipping by me and "impressing me". I was still accellerating at that point. I guess him looking over, seeing an old guy eating an ice cream cone, driving a '78 El Camino, sounding like it was, still in first, still accelerating, kinda discouraged him. By the time it shifted into second, about 2 seconds later, I let off and looked in the side mirror - he was about half a block behind me - not turning off, just driving straight. Ah, a good day indeed. LMAO

J T

Mmmmm, '78 Camino... me like!!! Spec your mill for us and then we can be

*really* envious.
Reply to
C & E

Wed, Aug 1, 2007, 8:39pm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (C=A0&=A0E) doth sayeth: Mmmmm, '78 Camino... me like!!! Spec your mill for us and then we can be

*really* envious.

No need to be too envious, I figure I got took on the deal. New tires and shocks all around, but it's got those stoopid looking IROC style wheels, too. The clock doesn't work, and now the radio quit, but the CD does still work. The air wasn't connected, but the younger son connected it, purged it, and charged it. And someone took out the 350 originally in it, and replaced it with a rebuilt 307. They did put something called Vortec heads on it, and something called a Crane cam that makes it idle rough. Then instead of the good cast iron intake someone replaced that with an aluminum one. Instead of the good stock carb that was replaced with what must be a import because it's called Edelbrock. The air filter isn't paper, but something called a K&N. It must have been pretty bad, because it's got a new water pump, radiator, alternater, and a bunch of other stuff too. Oh yeah, the trans was rebuilt too. But on the bright side, it does have true duals with glasspacks, and they sound absolutely great. I figure I got took pretty bad, but I really needed a vehicle at the time, so went ahead and paid $1400 for it anyway. I'm gonna try to shop around, for my next vehicle, so I can get a good price.

J T

Alright already!! ... you suck!!!!

Reply to
Swingman

Thu, Aug 2, 2007, 6:21am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: Alright already!! ... you suck!!!!

Hehehe

J T

I remember "back in the day", you bought 2 sets of "cherry bomb" glass packs... One set to run with after blowing out the glass with a few down shifts, the other set to put on every time you got a "fix it" ticket and had to go have them listen to it...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for taking some kid's pride and joy because he needed the money.

Reply to
Upscale

Thu, Aug 2, 2007, 10:38am snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale)doth claimeth: You ought to be ashamed of yourself for taking some kid's pride and joy because he needed the money.

Hah! The "kid" is a cop, with a late model street Mustang, with

400+ rear wheel HP, and plans for a supercharer on it. AND, a very nifty drag Vega. AND a nice home, with a huge garage. He was only using the El Camino for parts hauling, didn't really need it, and wanted the money to sink into his other toys. I just happened to be in the right place, at the right time, and, finally, money to buy. Actually I think I could have gotten it for $1200-1300, but had decided to let the older son bargain for me. He sucks at bargaining.

J T

Yep, major sucking there for sure. And the gloating... well, let's just say that none of us would have done such a thing - LOL!! Hey, I *love* to hear other people's one-in-a-million stories because I've never eard one from myself.

Reply to
C & E
[...]

Where were you when I sold my 1956 T Bird with both tops for $1600.00 (tears in my eyes) W W

Warren Weber

Thu, Aug 2, 2007, 8:31pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.net (Warren=A0Weber) doth query: Where were you when I sold my 1956 T Bird with both tops for $1600.00 (tears in my eyes)

I saw it, and passed it up, "because" it was a '56. Now if it had been a '55, or a '57....

Guy that graduated from high school a couple of years before me got ahold of a '56, in about '57 or '58. He, or someone, had put a McCulloch on it. Very cool. And, of course, he was dating the best looking girl in high school. Me, I had a Whizzer Sportsan, and occassionaly was alowed to drive a '49 Plymough two-door. Life has changeded, now I can drive every day.

For the unaware, and the kiddies:.

do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them. - Picasso

Reply to
J T

Now THAT'S funny.

Anyway you can install cut outs so the next Rice Rocket Jockey can get a real idea of what a V-8 sounds like - in full voice?

Just don't try all that horsepower on a winding road.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

You missed the hot rod era? Edelbrock ain't no import. And if you can lay your hands on an Isky (Iskenderian) cam . . .

charlie b

(and if you can get your hands on a Norton

- Matchless or Nomad . . . then the fun will really begin)

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Nowadays, even rice jockeys have been some sort of NASCAR event, even if it's a lower level series. That goes double in JOAT's territory. Unmuffled V8 sound still isn't that esoteric even though it's been so long since true muscle cars were produced..

Now, an F1 @ full voice as it runs the entire gearbox or a Top Fuel as it leaves the line... Now THAT'S somethin' you have to travel to hear!

**
**

B A R R Y

Fri, Aug 3, 2007, 1:02pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) doth sayeth: You missed the hot rod era? Edelbrock ain't no import. And if you can lay your hands on an Isky (Iskenderian) cam . . . charlie b (and if you can get your hands on a Norton

- Matchless or Nomad . . . then the fun will really begin)

You really need to show who you're addressing your remarks to. Unless you're talking to yourself.

However, I believe you were addressing that to me. No, I didn't miss the hot rod era. Mostly I just flat out couldn't afford it. Like a '53 Stude with a Cadillac V8 - $150. '39 Ford 2-door sedan, with a worked over flathead V8 with 3 carbs - $300. Running 3/4 and full race Ford V8 flatheads, pulled to put in a Chevy V8, $95 to $150. Way to serious money for me back then. And, yeah, I koow Edelbrock, and still prefer Q-jet carbs. But I didn't buy the Edelbroke carb, and can find stuff I like better elsewhere, for less.

J T

I remember way back in 83' When I went to Indy with the Monroe Auto Racing Team during time trials. I was young then and had always dreamed about going to Indy one day.

well there I was, not only at Indy, but with credentials curtiousy of Monroe that allowed me to go anywher except for two places. The press tower, and or the track itself during racing.

I remember getting my first up close look at the indy cars there in Gasoline Alley. I'd very contently stand there for hours behind the cars, watching them work on the cars, and tune them up with the engine running, with tears running down my face from the methanol exhaust fumes. People would stop and remind me that breathing those fumes was back for my health, but I couldn't have cared less.

To me I was in heaven.

Reply to
hdrdtd

I know that feeling!

Once upon a time, I had access to "Hot Pit" passes at Loudon and Pocono Winston Cup events via Turner Broadcasting, when they sponsored the Cartoon Network car. We used to rent an R/V and watch the race from pit wall, and the replays on the team war wagons.

One Sunday morning in Loudon, we stood 30 feet from the exhaust-exit side of a Roush Racing T-bird on jack stands, as they set the timing at about 8000 RPM. The sound literally wrinkled our faces! It was terrifying, and here's some dude leaning over the engine adjusting it! I'm anally protective of my hearing, and I could care less that morning! It was music...

4 weeks to Vintage Weekend at Lime Rock Park, where guys bring out one of a kind road race cars and actually race 'em!

**
**

B A R R Y

Fri, Aug 3, 2007, 5:43pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (hdrdtd) doth sayeth: I remember way back in 83' When I went to Indy with the Monroe Auto Racing Team during time trials. I was young then and had always dreamed about going to Indy one day.

My trip was in about '56-'57, I believe. Major big deal for me. Immense amount of fun watching the midget cars racing all night long. Then next day got a close look at one or two of the Indy cars. But the race itself was a disappointment. Hear a brrrrr, getting louder and louder, then a blur zipping by, repeat. I would have loved to go back to watch the midget cars run again, but as far as the Indy race goes, it's a case of been there, seen that, don't care to do it again.

Don't care for NASCAR races either, for some of the same reasons. Nowadays about the only roundy-rounder races I like are short track races. You can see all the action on the track, they don't go fast enough to get seriousuly injured in a crash (usually), and they're usually a bunch of local racers. Otherwise I like racing that goes right AND left. Except for mud running that is, that's always a lot of fun. My dau-in-law drove for the first time acouple of weeks ago, she got 5th, another guy on the team got 2d, and proke an axle, preventing the other guy n the team from running. My younger son is the crew chief, made most of the mods on the vehicle himself, and doesn't care to drive, just wrench.

J T

If you like dirt track oval racing at all, they have something at the local track that I've seen a couple of times.

I work for an automotive testing company that happened at one time to sponsor one of the locals that ran at the local dirt track. Once in a while we would have a company sponsored outing on a Saturday night.

The local track ran both the standard oval racing as well as figure eight racing. I had seen figure eight racing as a young kid a long time ago.

In addition to the various heats in each class of oval racing, they had a special event that was a figure eight race, but they did it with school busses.! Yep, full size school busses!

Totally insane, and the crowd was on the edge of their seats the entire race.

As you know, figure eight racing is all about timing your crossing of the figure eight so you don't collide with another car as you go through the center intersection. Now instead of short cars, replace them with looong school busses that aren't terribly fast to begin with. The slower the vehicle, the longer it takes to cross that center intersection. The longer the vehicle, the longer it takes before the vehicle clears the intersection. The longer the vehicle, the bigger gap in the traffic pattern you need in order to make it through the intersection.

They would usually race between 4-8 busses in each figure eight race.

Incredible to see full size busses going around the curves in the track up on two (ooops, make that three) wheels.

It was the most fun I'd had in a long time.

Reply to
Timothy Drouillard

Went there before the last Offenhauser died myself. Guarantee that the Lotus/Ford sounded nothing like a "brrrrr."

Reply to
George