Not having a good day

I have managed to run two people over today.

I'll have to take the blame for the first one one matter how daft she was. As least she was not hurt.

Second one not my problem - and he needs a new bike and a change of underwear. And also not hurt.

Reply to
ARW

I blame shared surfaces and raised tables for crossing roads around here for most of this sort of thing. Pavements were invented for a purpose, and segregated cycle ways were as well. To simply expect drivers to guess who has right of way or make eye contact with another user is a bit like Russian roulette. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How can you run people over without hurting them?

Reply to
Chris Green

Did you really knock a silly cyclist off his silly bicycle? If so, I take back all the things I've said about you. You could become one of my heroes.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Twas a child (well a young teenager) on a bike with no lights that rode straight out of a driveway in front of me.

The bike is f***ed[1] but he will survive for another day.

[1] Scudo 1 Bicycle 0
Reply to
ARW

I detest All cyclists. I hope that your van was not damaged and that you did not lose too much time. If you stopped the scum parents will try for a bit of compo.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

He has a virtual car. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you could target those for whom red lights mean nothing since they nip on the curb and round the corner scattering pedestrians as they do so. I think it will not be very long now before all pedal cycles will have to have registration numbers and insurance. I was talking to a health and safety person a couple of months back and he said if pushbikes and indeed anything two wheeled had only just been invented they would never be allowed on the road as safety at low speed was not assured. Just think everyone would be riding tricycles instead! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They probably have a cctv anyway. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is a good day for you when you only run one person over?

Reply to
GB

Tricycles are more likely to fall over and lose control.

Reply to
dennis

In 30 years of driving I have never accidentally run anyone over until today. I aimed for the rest of them.

Reply to
ARW

Adrenaline is good stuff, until it wears off and the bruising starts to develop. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

no, he averages three

Reply to
Tjoepstil

I hope you had a dashcam running ?

JOOI, whatever happened to the proposal a few years back that any accident with a cyclist would be presumed to be the motorists fault ? I have a sneaking feeling it was quietly dropped around the time dashcam footage of cretinous cyclists started flooding YouTube ??????

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There are several videos on YouTube of people, usually cyclists or motorcyclists, walking away after being knocked over by lorries that pass straight over them.

Reply to
Nightjar

"Strict liability" (or "presumed liability") is still being pursued by various cycling and road safety groups. But the then governments in Westminster and in Edinburgh were having none of it a few years ago.

And it was only ever going to apply for civil purposes - not criminal convictions. And usually as a rebuttable presumption - ie the driver presumed liable unless there was evidence to the contrary. Hence I would expect makers of "dash cams" to be energetic supporters of such a law ;)

Reply to
Robin

Cars will be fitted with them as standard soon, anyway.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

More properly spelled "anti-car bigots".

Reply to
Huge

Then they will be compulsory. Then you will have to allow TPTB unrestricted access to them.

Reply to
Max Demian