Not having a good day

There was a programme last night ("Inside Out") on BBC South looking at motorists who don't pass cyclists wide enough (recommendation is 1.5m!). That then went on to a spokesman (for a road safety group? I can't remember the name) who brought up that very subject of presumed fault. He said it was still being looked at, and the latest suggestion was that in an accident, the "most powerful" object was deemed to be at fault unless proven otherwise. So In a car/cyclist or car/pedestrian accident the car would be at fault, whereas in a cyclist/pedestrian accident the cyclist would be at fault. Well, I guess you might be lucky and get a car number plate if the car drove off, but how do you ID a cyclist who drives off?

Never mind dash or helmet cams, it won't be long before we're all wearing personal cams! :-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Along with the behaviour monitoring and tracking systems that some young new drivers have to install to get insured at a premium they can afford. For drivers who have been driving for some kind they are promoting those phone apps that do a similar function as a fun thing to do which they may well be but the Insurance industry will be able to point out that customers were eager to embrace such systems in an argument for compulsion to fit. All these things start off with good intentions until the TPTB or the chance to make excess rather than just reasonable profit becomes available. Want to save on your motoring insurance , sure don't drive to work in the rush hour or go away for the weekend on bank holidays because we know that you are doing so and you agree to pay an excess to travel at busy periods. The government whatever hue it is would like that as well as they could cut back on improving roads.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A bit harsh, no?

I assumed I was reading one of Harry's posts on Uk.d-i-y for a moment.

Reply to
Kumquat May

No. Cyclists are the lowest of the low. Road lice. The dregs of society. IQ less than their shoe size.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

In article , ARW writes

You do surprise me. Are they making these things a bit tougher these days?

Reply to
bert

In article , Brian Gaff writes

Well they should have insurance anyway. After all if they are at fault they can be sued just like drivers of mobility scooters.

Reply to
bert

Bloody hell Good job I've never met you on the road. I drive on the basis that no-one else will deliberately drive into me. Works quite well in a LR Defender.

Reply to
bert

Do I get extra points for mentioning that the other person I ran over was a jogger?

I'll still have to put my hands up to that one been my fault.

Reply to
ARW

That has struck me about these black boxes. They make sense for someone who has no driving history, but once you have a few years no-claims uder your belt, surely how and when you drive is immaterial, as you have demonstrated that you are driving within the abilities of both yourself and your vehicle.

I'd certainly not want to be charged more because I corner a bit fast, accelerate or brake hard, drive at rush hour and in all weather conditions, etc. when I've been driving for 34 years, averaging 20,000+ miles per year for most of that (50,000+ for a few years) and have only had 2 claims - both recorded as 100% the other driver's fault.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My mate collided with a MK 2 Land Rover back in 73 with his A35, it was the Landrover driver that went to hospital as the A35 not collapsing like a modern vehicle got under enough to roll it and landrovers are fairly weak from above. With plenty of other large heavy vehicles on the roads now unless a Defender has had roll bars fitted it may not be the Tank that some people they are.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

My son has been driving for about 20 months (well, driving his own car). Until last month he had a black box, and then he changed his car (third one he's owned) to a BMW 5 series. They wouldn't insure him. Found another reputable company who would, for little more than he'd paid for a

3 series with the box!

He said they were hassling him amyway, because late every night (about 1 am) he goes out for a drive, and then takes his girlfriend home. No problem with his driving, just the late nights.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How was it your fault unless you were driving on the pavement?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

A friend, a barrister, was stopped at the traffic lights one day when a cyc list ran into the side of his car. On the other side of the lights was a pa trol car who witnessed the incident and he also got a statement from two ot her witnesses.

He reported the lot to his insurance company.

Some months later, having heard no more, out of curiosity he rang his insur ance company to discover they were on the point of paying £1500 to the cyclist. In his best legalese he threatened to sue the arse of them if the y pai0d out a penny

Reply to
paul.mccann

Good luck finding out who they are, once they've ridden off.

Reply to
Huge

maybe they detected a lot of vibration in the car while it was stationary in a car park and they assumed he'd parked in an area prone to earthquakes ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

It was my fault, because I did not account for how stupid some people can be and I made a driving error. I pulled up to the white lines to turn left (the only way to turn at this junction) and join a dual carriageway (40mph one) from a side street. Only one car was passing so as soon as it had passed I set off.

The jogger running up the pavement to my left, instead of jogging behind the van jogged in front of it (so was actually onto the dual carriageway) when I set off.

Had the jogger been injured I would not be surprised if the police had not prosecuted me.

Reply to
ARW

One of the apprentices was told that he was doing too many short journeys and that it was not good for the environment. Actually his Mum had just had on operation and he was running her around in an evening as and when she needed a lift.

He did get a couple of warnings about speeding.

Reply to
ARW

But in that case you are neither a pedestrian or a cyclist.

Reply to
ARW

True

Reply to
bert

You know better than that. If I were younger (and bigger, braver, and living in a secret crater with a private army to protect me) I'd recommend detention and writing 500 lines "I shall never admit liability."

Reply to
Robin