OT - 1) Reminder & 2) What the heck is a fidget spinner?

1) Reminder: For all those within the path, I would highly recommend every one to start making plans for viewing the total solar eclipse, coming in Au gust. Viewing a total solar eclipse is suppose to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here is a link to help your planning. Page down to an area near you, should viewing be of interest. If you're on the west coast (and there abouts) of Oregon, the start of the eclipse will be at sunrise, whic h is suppose to make the viewing all the more bizarre and unusual.

2) I sent some alligator teeth to my nephew's children, in NC. Andrew mad e a necklace and a fidget spinner. I had to look up what a fidget spinner is. What will today's young folks think of next? LOL.

/

I would have used more teeth for a necklace. Surprisingly, it was Ryan's 9 yr old daughter who most wanted some teeth, but they all enjoyed getting t hem.... shared some with friends.

/

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I have a spot in Connecticut. It is located in front of a Samsung 55" 4K TV

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I was in high school, I went with the local university's astronomy club on a field trip to Atlanta for the eclipse (I could snag three telescopes from my high school - they had one or two). We found that there were going to be high clouds in Atlanta, so drove up to North Carolina and set up in a farmer's field. It was kinda funny because they thought we were nuts for even being outside during the eclipse and she forced the kids inside during the whole thing.

The eclipse, itself, was incredible. Not to be missed. I watched the totality through a 2-1/2" refractor (naked) and the solar prominences were truly amazing. After it was over, the farmer's animals went nuts. We hadn't noticed that while it was getting dark, all of the animals found their way back into the barn. Two minutes later they are some confused and were running all over the place.

It's highly recommended that if you can see it in person, do.

Reply to
krw

Do not have to go any where in the area of total eclipse 2' 33" if I went a bit south about two mile would 2' 40". Could rent of camping spot.

Reply to
Markem

Camping? You mean Holiday Inn!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well a room and breakfast would be cost prohibtive for the consumer. But the new Holiday Inn won't be done till next year.

Reply to
Markem

If you miss it you get another chance.

Leon

Maybe. ;-)

Reply to
krw

The whole thing is just a couple of hours. Camp out in the parking lot of a supermarket. Haven't decided if I'll go (it's a Monday) but if we do, we'll just make a day trip out of it. Maybe pick up dinner in the big city on the way back.

Reply to
krw

That I'd do. If the timing was different and I could work around a vacation trip I'd go for it but too far to go just for the eclipse. I may do a trip out west but it would not be before September.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Interesting. That might be about the time I'm ready for my solo cross- country flight, so I could maybe fly down to Carbondale/Marion and catch it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Rent a boat and sit at the south end of Grassy Lake. Or stop by the Bucky Dome and see how the restoration is going.

There are Muskie in Lake Kinkaid but any good guide would probably dump in the middle of the lake for fishing them in August.

Reply to
Markem

Why not follow the path and get your night time hours in too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Does he have an SR71 rating? ;-)

Reply to
krw

If he is going to use an SR-71 he better have a designated pilot.

DerbyDad03

Screw the _rating_, does he have the SR-71 to go with it?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:Ty7RA.3206$ snipped-for-privacy@fx22.iad:

I'd be the only pilot in the continental US to log night hours--correctly--at 11:30 AM. :-)

Hey... As a bonus I'd finally be able to take US51 between Decatur and Sandoval, IL at a proper speed. It's just too boring for 55 mph! It'll be way cooler a couple thousand feet in the air.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper