O/T: Brush Fires

Dateline: Southern California

The brush fires have arrived, almost a dozen of them today.

Thousands of acres are burning, buildings have been burned, at least one fatality somewhere around Dan Diego.

The temperatures have been warn, the relative humidity around 10%, IOW tinder box dry, for the past 10-14 days.

Saturday night the Santa Ana winds (AKA: Santana or Devil winds) started coming in off the desert

Steady state winds around 25-30MPH with some places averaging 50MPH and reported gusts above 100MPH.

9:00AM, Sunday, breaking news, brush fire in Malibu starting from what may have been from a downed power line.

As the day proceeds, more fires break out, the devil winds whipping up the flames, igniting additional thousands of acres.

The fires are all over the place, a 100 mile dia circle would not capture them all.

If it wasn't so serious, the situation with the dairy farms would be funny.

Dairy farms are having not only their fresh hay but also manure piles burn.

No report of how the cows are handling things.

Wonder what the Air Quality board has to say about poop burning?

As this is being written, the wind outside is howling and is expected to continue for at least the next 24-36 hours.

As always, never a dull moment in SoCal.

Stay tuned.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Agreed. Just last night I saw a California comercial promoting California dairy products as being superior because their cows are happier. I guess I'll have to avoid buying dairy products from California until the fire season is over and the cows are happy again.

I'll bet even money that they are NOT HAPPY.

For a state that has just about out lawed everything under the sun to protect it's population, you would think that they would have out lawed these fires years ago. You would think that they would not build neighborhoods in these fire trap areas. I wonder what the forrest clearing crews in Brazil are thinking right about now. They burn for construction purposes, California burns for destruction purposes.

You should contact Arnie immediately. BTY when do you expect all of your public rest rooms to have SHIM signs put in place of the Him and Her signs? LOL

Reply to
Leon

We're having mild sand storms here in North Baja as a result of those fires, according to local news..

We're 3 miles from the Sea of Cortez and haven't been able to see it until this morning, just clouds of dust blowing from the North.. *cough*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Actually, fires are a required part of the life cycle of the chapperal.

When it burns, seeds are released to start the next life cycle.

If you want to live in SoCal, then you accept the fact that firestorms, earthquakes, and mud slides are part of the package.

Based on the reports, more than 100 homes have burned in the mountain communities around Big Bear lake.

John, the Aloha guy on thi s list, lives up there someplace. Hope he is OK.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett