Writing words in wood = pyrography?

Hello all.

I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and need a way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to ...."

My penmanship has degraded further from it's sorry state pre computers with the advent of the laser printer, so I doubt I would be happy with burning the text freehand using the pyrography tools I've seen. Further, I don't need to burn the text on there as long as it can be seen and read once hung on the wall.

Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a brass plate, what are my options?

TIA

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Makes a good scrool saw project.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I finished! :)

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

You can use a laser printer to print a mirror image, and iron it on the wood. You can then use this as a guide - and trace the ink with a burning pen.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

That's a neat idea, thanks! :)

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Got a Dremel? make a template with a kid's plastic stencil kit and rout it with the Dremel..

If you're handy (pun intended) you can print the sentence on paper and trace over it with a stylus or hard pencil, then rout or burn it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You can also use a printer to print your text, pierce it with a needle for an outline and then take a finer dremel or flex-shaft bit and indent the writing. Label strips also work well. I prefer a stippling technique for this and, if done carefully, the results can be more graphically impressive than pyrography. For an added touch, you can paint the wood for contrast before doing the engraving.

Regards,

Edward he

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Mekon" wrote... =20

The previous responses can't be correct, because they don't involve = getting new tools or machinery.

Why not get a nice pantograph - make one template, then rout them all = out. Save the template for future use. Here's the pantograph setup I = use:

--=20 Timothy Juvenal

VibraJet

ROFL!

:)

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Have you thought about using a laser engraving service?

Reply to
Nova

no, not really, I wanted to do it myself.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I finished! :)

Mekon

Reply to
Kate

Show off!

*grin*

Kate

The previous responses can't be correct, because they don't involve getting new tools or machinery.

Why not get a nice pantograph - make one template, then rout them all out. Save the template for future use. Here's the pantograph setup I use:

Kate

If that is the way you want to go, then a CNC controlled New Hermes is the gold standard.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mon, Oct 22, 2007, 10:29am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com (Mekon) doth sayeth: Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I finished! :)

If you're gonna repeat the same thing over and over, or just want to burn your logo or whatever, no prob. Make a branding iron. No biggie. You need a piece of brass about 1/8 thick. (hobby shop) ferric chloride eching solution (radio shack) paint and small brush or a felt marker. Paint, or draw, the design on the brass backwards. drop in echant until thel design is raised quite a bit. Then wash it with water. and remove the paint. (NOTE: I have NOT done this; however, I have used a similar [or the same] etching solution to etch glass [for glass it is a paste, apply with a small brush], using stencils. Wear rubber gloves [don't forget and scratch your nose or rub your ear], rinse under cold running water, use common sense; just remember, this is at your own risk. You can use a large electric soldering iron for heat - braze, or silver solder, the branding iron on. Or afix to a steel rod, and head with a propane torch. I'd say put a wooden handle on. No biggie. If I ever change my mind about just gluing a business card on the bottom or inside of whatever, I'll make one for myself. If I run across a piece of brass, may just make one anyway.

J T

J T was thinking very hard :

Thanks for that,

I'll look ino it

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3333.bay.webtv.net:

I have done something extremely similar to this... etching my own PC board. (In fact, I'm preparing to make a few more. It's not the 20 minutes in the etchant that's important, it's the 120 minutes spent preparing that are!)

Ferric Chloride is something to read up on before you do anything with it. It stains fast and permanent, and I'd never use it in a container that would ever be used for food, even after a thorough cleaning. It will etch away metals quite readily, and it seems to me there's something about glass... If you take the time to read up on Ferric Chloride (take a look at some of the PC board making sites), you can handle it safely and effectively.

With the method JOAT described, you may run in to problems with the etchant eating around your paint. I don't have a solution for this, but maybe someone else does.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Depends on how thick they need to be. If the wood is 1/2 inch thick or less, you can stack cut four of them and only cut once. Of course, that assumes you already have the saw.

Bob McConnell N2SPP

Reply to
Bob McConnell

Wed, Oct 24, 2007, 8:28am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: you may run in to problems with the etchant eating around your paint. I don't have a solution for this, but maybe someone else does.

The last time I etched anything was 50+ years ago. Used some type of tar, I believe, and etched a nicely intricate stag, in a large aluminum tray. Didn't eat around the "tar", and came out great. But, if I try this, and I believe I will, my answer to it eating around the paint, would be that I would be willing to make more than one, to get a good one.

Which got me to thinking. I know I said brass, but that's something I read. Don't know when I'd come across some brass, but already have some steel pieces. I'm thinking that would work as well as brass. Hmm, now just gotta think of a design I'd want, then get me some etching stuff.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I have never been all that impressed with wood burning, mine or others.

Laser etching is impressive, but I know you want to do your own thing and maybe you want to buy new tools. Here is an idea:

Stop at a local head stone company. Buy a small piece of bounce sheet. Cut your design and writing out of the sheet. Talk it over with the sand blaster at the headstone outfit about digging the letters or digging the background. See what he would charge for doing the sandblasting or buy a small harbor freight set and compressor.

Reply to
DanG