Writing on wood pre-stain/finish

Hi Everybody

I just built a potato/onion bin in clear white pine, and am about to finish it, but want to write "POTATO" and "ONION" on it, for decoration. I thought about writing it with a crayon, until I realized it is wax, and then thought about pencil crayon. I want the antique-ish look to it. I plan to shellac the whole thing, and then clear coat with a water-based poly.

Suggestions please?

Thanks!

Reply to
Robert Wein

Paint.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Don't forget the "E" in potatoe.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Cut a potato into stamps and stamp the letters on with paint or ink. You only need seven letters so it won't use that many potatos.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Thu, Jul 31, 2003, 11:17am snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Robert=A0Wein) wants to know: I just built a potato/onion bin want to write "POTATO" and "ONION" on it, I thought about writing it with a crayon,

They won't let you have sharp objects, eh?

I either use marking pens, or make paper labels and glue them on.

JOAT Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football.

- Lu-Tze

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

use pc and print onto vellum. Use a permanent adhesive to attach to wood. Then brush or spray clear varnish over. If you do it right, the vellum disappears.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

Why write? I would dip a potato and an onion in the poly repeatedly until they took on a nice, thick protective shell. Then I'd attach them with velcro in case I ever wanted to use the bin for something else. Or you could bore a hole through each before dipping them, then use a shiny new lag bolt and a washer. My cousin Lenny has gotten very good at this latter method and has mounted vegetables (and some fruits) on his living room walls. Use 2 lag bolts for the bigger vegetables like rutabagas.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

Robert,

Try printing/writing with a Dremel tool although the lettering may not be heavy enough. After doing this you can use a permanent marker and shellac over everything. Works okay on small items ie wooden toys, but as I say the lettering may not be thick enough for your purpose.

Glen Duff

Robert We> Hi Everybody

Reply to
Glen Duff