What finish on Ducal furniture?

Some time soon I'm going to need to repair some cat scratches on DucalPine "Victoria" range furniture - does anybody here know what the finish is so I can get a reasonable match?

Reply to
<no_spam

No doubt the result of a sophisticated finishing process (RF cured maybe). Best bet is to massage the area with Briwax original, which contains (well, USED to contain) enough volatile solvent to cut through most finishes, and buffs up to a decent shine

Reply to
stuart noble

I'll try that, but there are areas that will need a good sanding first so I'll be down to bare wood.

Reply to
<no_spam

Whatever you go for try it out on a small hidden area first.

Is it highly polished ?

If not I would try coating the bared areas with shellac or sanding sealer. Water based sanding sealer would be the handiest. Then after a light sand d own I'd give it a coat of wax applied with wire wool and then plenty of elb ow grease for each succeeding coat of wax.

Reply to
fred

Colour matching bare wood to a factory finish is nigh on impossible. Usually the worst thing you can do is to apply a stain and hope to clear varnish over it. I'd try something like this, where the colour is part of the coating, so should be nearer the mark

Good luck with picking the right shade though :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

I have a pine ducal wardrobe which the locking mechanism has broken does anyone know where I could buy a replacement , its actually the piece that the key goes in . It says GOLDIN L on it , thanks in advance

Reply to
Frances

The Natural Philosopher

Frances snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote in news:16662975f41e0d76$1$765284$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroupdirect.com:

Why do you need a lock? Fit a magnetic catch.

Reply to
JohnP

Because when its stuffed with clothes the door will spontaneously open, usually in the middle of the night and make an aerie creaking noise I expect, or maybe the parents of kids do not want them fossicing about in there for various adult or Christmas related reasons. I'm sure I've seen many simple locks like that advertised but of course it will mean quite a bit of work fitting a different type to the old one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Fossick? Have you turned Australian all of a sudden?

Reply to
Max Demian