Boiler in garage or in bedroom cupboard

I am getting central heating in a house that at present does not have a boiler and radiators.
I want the boiler in the attached garage but the fitters have suggested putting it in the vacated airing cupboard in a bedroom that contains the HWC.
Presumably because it makes it easier for him.
Would you have the boiler in your bedroom?
On 28/01/2015 14:36, Ron wrote:

No!
Is this a system or combi?
A system boiler needs 3 pipes, a combi considerably more and hence more work.
A combi ought to be sited close to where hot water is required or there's a lot of cold water drawn off first.
Fredxxx wrote:

Yes, mine is so far from the taps I've had to install local electric water heaters.
As for having the boiler in the bedroom, not bloody likely! Hissing and clicking and whooomphing at all hours, risk of gas leaks or carbon monoxide making you wake up dead.
Bill

Of course you may have to decide which taps are more used - bathroom or kitchen - with a combi. I'd probably opt for the kitchen. Kids may have a different view. ;-)
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Yes, it's the taps you want small amounts of hot water more often which should be near the boiler - kitchen sink would be key for many people. Bath and shower, even though they use more hot water, aren't going to matter so much if you have to run off cold first.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Ron wrote:

Find a fitter who understands that he needs to do what the customer asks. Or fit it yourself and get a gas safe fitter to make the final gas connection and commission the boiler. The installation manuals for Worcester-Bosch are very good, online and easy to follow.
On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 14:37:00 UTC, Ron wrote:

I'd really rather not, because of the noise.
Do you have a loft? (and as far from the main bedroom as possible)
Owain
Do you have a loft? (and as far from the main bedroom as possible)
Yes, above the bedroom

Don't do it. Our last two boilers have been in the loft and it's been a pain. Out of sight and out of mind which means that when small problems do occur they don't get noticed until they're big problems. Also, if you have the pump up there the sound with come through the rafters.
Garage sounds like the best bet.
Tim
Ron wrote:

That means you'd get the hissing and clicking and whooomphing and carbon monoxide poisoning and also get drownded in boiling water while you were asleep.
Bill

With a modern boiler it's really quite hard to get poisoned unless the flue is badly positioned near a window.
Poisoning really wouldn't be one of my major worries.
Tim
On 28/01/2015 21:26, Tim+ wrote:

Is that because when you're poisoned with CO in your sleep you don't tend to wake up?
I'd be worried about that "in between level" of CO that makes you feel unwell!

No, it's because they've all been "room sealed" for years and take their fresh air from outside as well as expelling their exhaust outside. Unless there is a major structural failure in the boiler, they're very unlikely to be able to leak any CO inside a house.
Not impossible, but much less likely than it used to be.
Tim
On 28/01/2015 22:02, Tim+ wrote:

I was pulling leg a little :-)
I thought there was a requirement to have a CO detector fitted in a bedroom with a boiler which suggests it's not without some perceived risk.
On 2015-01-28, Fredxxx wrote:

I'm not aware of a requirement to have one in your own house (maybe in rented accommodation?) but it's a good idea. They're not expensive.
On 28/01/2015 22:02, Tim+ wrote:

modern designs typically run the case at a negative pressure as well - so even if it leaks, it lets room air into the boiler, not boiler air into the room.
The biggest CO risk with a modern boiler is from incorrectly fitted or joined flue components.

--
Cheers,

John.
Or cop out completely and get storage heaters like wot i got. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message

No.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 28th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my attitude,
Huge wrote:

I share my bedroom with an old boiler.
Bill
On 28/01/2015 20:20, Bill Wright wrote:

Are you of near equal age to this boiler?