Boiler in garage or in bedroom cupboard

Is that because when you're poisoned with CO in your sleep you don't tend to wake up?

I'd be worried about that "in between level" of CO that makes you feel unwell!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Are you of near equal age to this boiler?

Reply to
Fredxxx

No, it's because they've all been "room sealed" for years and take their fresh air from outside as well as expelling their exhaust outside. Unless there is a major structural failure in the boiler, they're very unlikely to be able to leak any CO inside a house.

Not impossible, but much less likely than it used to be.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I was pulling leg a little :-)

I thought there was a requirement to have a CO detector fitted in a bedroom with a boiler which suggests it's not without some perceived risk.

Reply to
Fredxxx

modern designs typically run the case at a negative pressure as well - so even if it leaks, it lets room air into the boiler, not boiler air into the room.

The biggest CO risk with a modern boiler is from incorrectly fitted or joined flue components.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or cop out completely and get storage heaters like wot i got. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are extra considerations when a boiler (or any part of the heating system) is in an unheated location where things can freeze if the system is not properly designed to handle this. Lagging is essential, but you may need a froststat too, depending if the boiler has an integral one. Even so, some pipes around a boiler aren't heated, and modern boilers don't leak much heat from the casing. A good heating installer will be familiar with designing such a system.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

can't you get a grant to get a new younger model?

Reply to
Gazz

I'm not aware of a requirement to have one in your own house (maybe in rented accommodation?) but it's a good idea. They're not expensive.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Have you considered a heat store? Cylinder in the airing cupboard, boiler in the garage; instant DHW at full mains pressure, reduced boiler cycling, radiators fully hot within a minute or less?

Reply to
Terry Fields

Have you considered a heat store? Cylinder in the airing cupboard, boiler in the garage; instant DHW at full mains pressure, reduced boiler cycling, radiators fully hot within a minute or less?

Reply to
Ron

It will depend on your usage. I would also say they are slightly less suited to modern condensing boiler with features like weather compensation than they were to earlier generations of boilers, but that's not to completely dismiss them. If you were looking to have solar water panels, that could easily swing it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't forget that you need to have a reliable supply pressure.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Probably not. The idea of a heat store is, well, to store heat. This means that when the temperature of the store falls below a set level (mine is 65C) the sensor will ask the boiler to supply heat, until the store reaches its upper limit (72C). Heat will be lost to the airing cupboard; I've calculated my heat loss to be 110W. The boiler fires up for 5 minutes every nine hours in my system.However, it's important to note that other demands for hot water (to the central heating, or domestic hot water) will also result in 'calls for heat', and these will keep the store topped up anyway.

The benefits for you are: boiler in the garage, a simpler type of boiler called 'heat only', a nice warm airing cupboard (which with a combi system needs its own radiator = heat loss), all but instant mains pressure hot water supplied from the store (a shorter run than from the garage), central heating fully hot within a minute. This system is more complex than a combi, but is comprised of separate parts (and so more easily serviced and repaired). It will also cost more initially. HTH

Reply to
Terry Fields