O/T: Atlanta Airport

For those of us that already knew how runways are numbered (SWMBO and her brother both are former military aviators, that's how I learned), it actually does improve the joke because there isn't a "hey, that's not how it works!!" moment interrupting the flow. OTOH, for those who didn't already know, and I suspect that's a large majority, adding the explanation would probably make it a lot *less* funny.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It would be funnier if she was on the way to Atlanta airport. to pick up someone and his airplane was on runway 9 and diverted to runway 27L. Lemme explain. Atlanta airport is really named Hartsfiled-Jackson International. OK, now we get to the really hilarious part . . . . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That hurts. Congratulations.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think the joke would be way funnier if you had Saudi Air 711 make the panic call.

See, 711 is flying west, away from Mecca, whereas 511 would be facing Mecca when he died, so, for 511, it would be no big deal.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah but! Now I know and still don't think it improves the the joke. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Wooooo don't stop NOW!!! tell it all! LOL

Reply to
Leon

RE: Subject

As J Carson is reported to have said, if you have to examine it, it ain't funny.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Doesn't matter. There is no joke this way. Everything is too obvious.

It's pretty bad when one has to justify one's sense of humor, but here goes... Humor take a *little* subtlety. With the "eastbound" and "westbound" both on 9L, in addition to being incorrect (to cause a crash), isn't at all subtle.

Reply to
krw

Who could have seen you coming back with that line. Can we see a show of hands?

There you go again!

Reply to
Leon

If the statement was so obvious that the answer was also, it was pretty stupid to make the statement, huh?

You like to be told the punch line before the end of the joke? Figures. No thought needed.

Reply to
krw

... and that's nothing like it. /Groucho

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Tower: "Saudi Air 511 Heavy, turn left two zero. Cleared the visual approach runway niner right. Good day."

"Saudi Air five one one heavy. Left two zero. Cleared visual niner right. Thankyougooday."

"Iran Air seven one one, turn left heading tree zero zero. Descend and maintain two five hundred until localizer. Cleared visual approach runway two seven left. Good day."

"Iran Air seven one one. Left tree zero zero. Two thousand five hundred. Say again runway?"

"Iran Air seven one one, cleared the visual two seven left. Two seven lima."

"Iran Air seven one one. Unable two seven lima. Missed approach."

Quite frankly, I can't find the joke in it. Killing 600 noncombatants on political and ideological principles is my kind of fun, but I don't see the joy or humor in it. At least, nothing on the same level as poking some fun at the non-swimming ex-senator from Illinois. Are we now all out of jokes on the PC-safe victim grouops? You know, the lawyers, blondes, retards, beer swilling boomhauers, or sexually repressed and stereotyped clergymen?

Reply to
MikeWhy

It was a joke for God's sake.

Reply to
Leon

But he never did say what the wind direction was they he'd have two planes on 9L.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It was?

Reply to