Newsreader Needed

OLE is no longer available on Win 7 and 8. Those are the changes.

Reply to
Leon

I know a little about woodworking but I'm not too educated when it comes to news readers. I will ask this question sort of expecting flames:

Why would you not use Google Groups other than the inability to get binaries?

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Maybe some functions like saving posts or blocking certain posters, a better text editor too. Other things like highlighting responses to your posts and showing the thread hierarchies.

I used to use a dedicated client and service, but now I use google groups because it's free, easy, and readily available on my computer, phone, &c.

Reply to
Michael

I don't use Thunderbird for news, just for email. But it has developed a nasty habit of changing the font size in the middle of composing an email. Could be peculiar to the Linux version (17.0.2) but it is an irritant.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Since we are talking about Thunderbird, etc. You may have noticed that sometimes the words of my text run together. That's because (in my preferences) I "edit in HTML" (which permits me to make the text large enough to see it well).

To avoid the problem of the words running together, I usually cut all of my text, copy to WordPad, and Paste back into the editor in Thunderbird--and that works. Except, when I forget to do that, some of the words run together when they are uploaded to the newsgroup server as text. Anyone else doing this in Thunderbird/Seamonkey (have a better solution?)

Reply to
Bill

Can IE 6 be installed in Win 7 or 8? I'm thinking MS would have conniptions if one tried to do so.

Having it installed doesn't mean you have to use it :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Sounds like "just asking" for a virus!

Reply to
Bill

This latest version (24.1.1) of TB is pissing me off. Unstable, not responding from the simple saving of an email to a storage folder, etc. Most problematic version I've had on this Win7 box in a good while.

Feels like it may be an add-on/Filter issues, but they all show as compatible, and the few add-ons/Filters I need is what makes TB usable for me.

Reply to
Swingman

Thunderbird will work fine...

Reply to
Pat Barber

If it suits your purpose good for you, but the main reason for me is threading, GG's horrific interface and the poor retention of GG.

Reply to
Markem

Because Google screws up the Usenet for the rest of us. Read your own posts for just one example. There are many.

Reply to
krw

Aw, you musta blinked. TB is now at 24.2.0 as of this moment. Just launched TB and it upgraded it a minute ago.

Hopefully the "undocumented feature" you mentioned has been scrubbed out.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Markem wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

GG is the source of much spam and is contributing the the demise of Usenet. Many people that have been around Usenet for years block anything posted from a GMail address. I wouldn't have seen this had someone not responded. Nothing personal, but I have found the content of users that post using a NNTP client is more likely on topic.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

LOL ... damn, you're right. Hit Help while typing this and it started downloading immediately.

I'll be back shortly, I hope. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

It evolved into Live Mail. It will not put markers (such as > or :) in front of quoted text. It is OK for most email needs though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message news:l87pj6$eef$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me

Hmm...maybe Microsoft surreptiously bought them out and is now doing the coding :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I'm using Firefox and Thunderbird as my default internet apps. I've used them for years, and have never (well, almost never, and not for a long time) experienced crashes and hangups.

Reply to
Just Wondering

I am another of the "one hundred thousabndth".

My experience with Firefox and Thunderbird is the same. I started using Firefox and Thunderbird as a replacement for Netscape over 10 years ago. I have never had a serious problem with updating, or using either of the programs. I am not an occasional user but use them several hours per day.

The people who appear on the newsgroups and forums are a small minority of the Mozilla users. Many are like the person in a recent Mozilla newsgroup that was complaining about problems with FF & TB where he had between 77 and 100 addons installed. I did not know there were that many that were truly different addons available. I have less that a half dozen in each Firefox and Thunderbird.

In some of the post with problems, FF & TB get blamed when the root cause of the problem is somewhere else and probably with non standard code of a URL.

Unless you have gigabits of messages, several dozen different accounts,

77 or more addons installed in FF & TB, and never compact TB's databases, I doubt if you will ever have serious problems with Firefox or Thunderbird.
Reply to
Keith Nuttle

+1 for Agent, or Free Agent, very good programs in their day.
Reply to
Jeff Mazur

Agree - been using TB and FF for years with no major issues. No more than half dozen add-ons on each.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn