Newsreader Needed

No problems here, either. I've been using FF since it was named FF and TB for about five years now. I has crashed a couple of times but it just restarts with everything in tact (all the tabs, even). *MUCH* better than anything from M$.

Reply to
krw

"In their day"? This from a Google groupie?

Reply to
krw

I've been using Agent since v0.99c in 1996(ish). I'm holding at 1.93. I have a copy of 4.2, which is MUCH better at handling binaries, but I don't like the way it handles text groups. I have not tried the current version, but will check it out. If Forte is letting you d/l 1.93 for free as someone posted earlier, go grab it for your text groups. Plus it handles yENC just great. My biggest gripe is that it doesn't do html automatically and does not have nested folders.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

snip

Check the headers Agent still is a good program today.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

For some reason I'm stuck at FF 21.0. Maybe that's a good thing.

I'm sure having a bunch of add-ons doesn't help stability at all. I only use the security add-ons (Ghostery, NoScript, and DontTrackMe).

Reply to
krw

You're telling me? ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'll echo that - use Firefox and Thunderbird - used them since they started. Mosaic upgrade.

They were bought by AOL and then that fell apart. Now they are a band of good programmers that are around the world keeping it together. In spite of constant upgrade in standards.

Martin Was a Unix user and enjoyed it. Now I have a crazy and wild monster size phone it looks like - version 8 in a 1080P double wide screen. What a messy computer. They think computers are for 15 year olds and made a dummy screen like a phone. Big icons they call something else. Always taking credit and making us pay. No start menu. Sucks.

They have a massive amount of what not junk that fills the screen.

Martin - wonders what 8.1 is like.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

The Mozilla Foundation was established in July 2003 with start-up support from America Online's Netscape division. It is now an independent non profit organization.

This is the financial report for the non profit Mozilla Foundation

Keith Nuttle

Been using FF and TB since they were Netscape. TB started doing stupid

*Major* updates a long time ago. By major, I mean it took years to go from version 2 to version 3, and then to version 24 in the blink of an eye . I quit upgrading at version 14, recognizing that TB worked perfectly for me before the last slew of upgrades that seemed to do nothing other than break some add-ons/Filters.

I seem to recall that along with the upgrades, other stuff was being installed unless you overtly chose to not install stuff. I don't recall what stuff, but Google search bar, AVG, McAfee virus stuff come to mind. It's been a while since I upgraded, so I could be wrong, but I think they were one group that was doing this. So I figure the reason they do constant upgrades is not to help you out, but to get other stuff installed.

My recommendation is once you get an upgrade that works perfectly STOP upgrading. That's what I did at version 14, and it works perfectly fine on my win7 64 bit machine. I will not upgrade until something comes along I need, which is not likely any time soon.

Over the years I've experienced plenty of software "upgrades" that were worse than what they upgraded, often breaking the older stuff completely. In the old days, bug fixes and little tweaks were in decimals. I figure TB should be at version 4.24 not 24

If anyone can tell me what version 24 does that 14 doesn't do, I'm listening.

Reply to
Jack

They are more or less keeping it in sync with Firefox, which is on a three month release cycle, and since they share a lot of codeit makes sense from a developer perspective. There isn't much being done to TB these days, other than getting to new HTML engine to work with it as FF progresses.

The version numbering thing was started by Google's Chrome project which is on a similar release cycle.

Reply to
FrozenNorth