New Ridgid Tablesaw

"Leon" wrote

If a lot of granite topped saws end up out in the market, there will be a great need to secure jigs to the saw. Seems like an opportunity for somebody. Perhaps a giant suction device similar to what the glass people use to move those big panes of glass. In a pinch, you could use the Red Green approach, good ole duct tape!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote

Yep, I'm already using it to hold the blade on ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Jack's Lawn Mower Service" in the Buffalo area is just a small shop selling and servicing "outdoor power equipment" (quoted from their web page).

Reply to
Nova

Is vibration really an issue with a heavy cast iron top? I'm asking.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My point exactly. Who's going to haul a 452 lb. table saw in for service.

Reply to
Nova

Is it common for other manufacturers to come to your house and fix it? You're left with the option of buying another saw and.... hauling it to your house. Then getting rid of your old saw which means... hauling it away.

Seriously though, if the only issue is weight, I'm thinking they would let you disconnect the top and leave it at home.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Not unless there's something causing it which is pretty much independent of the top.

I can't see granite being a real plus given the issues and the pita problem it would be if did chip/crack. Seems like a marketing gimmick to me; I've no clue about whether it's a cost-cutting effort for the manufacturer or not. Doesn't seem like it must be much cost penalty anyway given the vendors who are using it.

--

Reply to
dpb

No I hadn't. I was strapped for time yesterday. But I've read it over now.

In the part you didn't post, there's the usual disclaimer info that pertains to what is and is not covered. In essence it's the standard "Ridgid is not responsible for problems not of our making" (see below) -- which, it seems to me, leaves it entirely up to discretion of the person doing the repairs to make that determination.

Begging the question: Has anyone here had cause to repair a Ridgid product, and if so, how pleased were you with your experience. Maybe a topic for another thread???

"...warranty only covers defects arising under normal usage and does not cover any malfunction, failure or defect resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, modification or repair by other than an authorized service center for RIDGID branded hand held and stationary power tools".

Reply to
CW

If my saw breaks I'll fix it myself.

Ridigid's "Lifetime Warranty" for large stationary tools, due to the fact they have to be returned, bothers me when sited as a valid reason for purchasing their tools as it's virtually useless.

Reply to
Nova

I'm with you on that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'd venture to say that you bringing it in means that they are not coming out to do the repair. Jet sent me a start capacitor and eventually a new motor for my cabinet saw when it was still under warranty. I did all the leg work. Fine with me except the part with me lifting that honking motor into place under the table. I only had to return the big parts, I would imagine that Ridgid would work with you accordingly. Oddly the problem with the motor was normal, most all cabinet saws start off with a hard thump, that is what we were trying to fix.

Reply to
Leon

Either they are not the same Jack's or they need to update their web page.

Reply to
Leon

Well naturally there would be a disclaimer, neglect and purposely damaging the tool would void that warranty.

I revall having read about repairs on their equipment. But besides that has anyone ever been dissatisfied with the product or warranty. Typically you hear about problems more so than a tool that performs as expected.

Would you expect otherwise? The tool is not built and expected to perform when misused, abused, or neglected. They do BTY advertise in some of thir ads that routine maintaince is covered under the warranty. I suspect that if you neglect to get routine "free" service performed that that would void the warranty.

BMW warrants their cars under warranty and perform free maintance for the first 4 years of 50,000 miles. If you don't have the oil changed at all, for free, or otherwise and blow the engine, it is going to be on you.

It is a common sense thing.

Reply to
Leon

I don't own any Ridgid power tools so I can't say, but the way the warranty is worded it would seem the only way they will honor the warranty is to return the toll to an authorized service center with your receipt in hand.

I do own a number of Ridgid's pipe tools. The warranty for these hand tools (threader and pipe wrenches), on the other hand, tells you to return them to the place of purchase for repair or replacement at Ridgid's Tools option.

Reply to
Nova

Absolutely! Stock belts and pulleys on contractor saws can cause a lot of vibration. Hence the belt and pulley kits that are offered as aftermarket. Even the better cabinet saw makers are going from the 3 belt set up to the serpentine automotive type belts as they don't take a set shape.

Reply to
Leon

I doubt that it is. Here's the Buffalo area web site:

Nova

I think you have a valid point. And it probably should also be pointed out , that the "Lifetime Waranty" is not bumper-to-bumper -- there are restrictions.

Now, I do own a couple Ridgid tools and I've been more than pleased. No problems whatsoever. And while I expect that my TS will continue perform well and last forever -- should it break -- I can't see shipping it off, only to have some repair guy tell me that the problem's not covered by warranty. And then charge me for repairs and return freight.

So I suppose it's a good thing for me that the nearest service center is only a 1/2 hr away.

Reply to
CW

Isn't the obvious solution, rather than get a saw with a 300lb top to dampen vibration, simply upgrade the belt and maybe add a machined pulley?

Reply to
-MIKE-

The 3560 vibrates a little at startup but once it's going it passes the nickel test just fine. No need for upgraded anything.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Of course. I'd not meant to be obtuse or contentious. I realize that Ridgid is not in business to provide its customers with tools, unconditionally, for life.

But you seemed a little smitten with this idea of a "Lifetime Waranty" as if the whole notion made your heart go pitter-pat and your knees all weak. If it did, then who am I to tell you any different? I happen to be a little more skeptical though. It's a common sense thing.

What it comes down to for me is that some guy -- someone collecting a paycheck from Ridgid -- decides what is and is not "abuse, neglect, or purposeful damage". Regardless of how I've treated my TS, it's this guy's word against mine. What's the likelihood that, should my motor burn out or something else happen 5, 10, or 15 years down the road -- that he is going to decide that it was due to a "defect in workmanship"? Do you really think he's going to decide in my favor? If your answer is other than "Highly unlikely" then I'd love to tell you how to triple your money in this little ponzi scheme that I've got going... ;)

I bought Ridgid because I read some good stuff about the product I wanted. The price was right. And it was available the day I needed it. And the warranty? Well it didn't even crack my top 5 reasons for buying.

Reply to
CW