Anyone out there with a Grzzly G0478 tablesaw?

I think this is a fairly new saw, so I'm interested if anyone has purchased or used it.

I am trying to decide on a table saw to buy and have narrowed down my choices between the Griz G0478 and the Craftsman 22124.

The Griz is approximately $250 cheaper and is therefore the way I am leaning. My concern is with the trunnions, which are quite a bit smaller than the Craftsman. Does this translate into a saw with more vibration, or am I just being too nit-picky. Also, the Craftsman trunnions are mounted to the base instead of the table, is this better? If so, why?

Also, the Craftsman has a small fence attached to the miter gauge along with a hold down. This is the only brand that I have seen with this feature, is it a gimmick or a good idea?

I know, I am probably overthinking this whole thing, but this is my first tablesaw purchase and I want to buy a quality machine that will last for many years.

I am driving my wife crazy with my indecision, so please help my marriage and give me input.

Reply to
strongarm938

I had the same decision to make over a year ago, but Griz did not have the G0478 then, so it was with the 1023. I was able to look at the saw at Sears on the showroom floor. Griz was in PA. The reviews were very good for the Craftsman from the writers then and the saw had just came out. I bought the Craftsman 22124 and have been very happy with it. The blade that came with the saw has been making good smooth cuts I did not think I would buy any more power tools from Sears but they made a real turn around with this saw.

Wait a little while for a sale if you deceide on the Craftsman (if you can wait after making a choice) The Craftsman is very smooth running. Motor housed in the base and uses a belt very much like a serpentene belt on a car.

The miter fence with the hold down and extension works well, but I am sure not as good as the aftermarket miter fences. For what it is, it is a good addition

I feel the Craftsman will last as long as I will be around. (going on 60 now) I also bought the heavier moble base from General. I liked the foot releases better and it lets me move the saw effortlessly. I have a HTC base on my bandsaw, about $15 or so cheaper, and like it too, but I like the General more.

I feel your indecision.. I am sure you would be happy with either one you get, My GO555 bandsaw from Griz has been a good choice too. CC

Reply to
CC

I use the 5959 and would recommend the 478

Reply to
Joe

I like the craftsman 22124 a lot (FWIW; I have no basis for comparison!) but was particularly unenthused about the miter gauge, fence, and hold down. Things seemed to move slightly whenever I tried to use the fence or the hold down.

I ended up buying a woodhaven deluxe gauge

and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm pretty incompetent, but it's hard to mess up with this one. Well rated by Fine Woodworking, too (if you happen to value their opinion more than mine :-)

--jeff

Reply to
jp