Old tablesaw

Some of you may recall that I acquired an old Delta tablesaw at an estate sale last year. I'm hoping someone in the group can help me increase my knowledge about its history.

It's a model 1160. The blade is fixed and the table does all the moving. The plate with the serial number is missing on my saw so I can't use that to date it.

The 1160 was first manufactured in 1936 and apparently continued until a few years after WWII, although I can't confirm an actual last year date.

Delta became Rockwell-Delta in 1946. Did the nameplates change then or shortly thereafter? My nameplate makes no mention of Rockwell.

The saw has a Westinghouse "Life Line" motor with an early 40's date but since the saw was sold sans motor, I have no idea if it was the original motor or a later replacement. I've been unable to find much info on the motor. A Google search turned up a few references to Life Line motore, but they were all huge things of 50-300 horsepower. Mine has a 1 hp, 13.6 amp motor, capacitor start, and is wired for 110. Does anyone have info on this motor?

The Delta website mentions that their production during WWII went almost entirely to defense industries. So the odds are that my saw was not produced during the war, although there is a possibility that it came into private hands after the war as war surplus. Again, any info on Delta during the war would be appreciated.

So far, the restoration is proceeding, albeit slowly. I'm beginning to think that the only parts I'll need will be a new blade, new brushes for the motor, and maybe some new bearings for the arbor and/or the motor. All the rest is cleanup and repainting.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Wow. Don't get to near when the table starts spinning around.....

:-)

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Have you been to Old Woodworking Machines web site

and looked up your table saw? That site also has a forum that old woodworking machine enthusiast hang out at.

Reply to
Phil Again

This one ?

a real collectors item but still a older Delta tool that folks have found and restored.

Is this > Some of you may recall that I acquired an old Delta tablesaw at an estate

Reply to
Pat Barber

blade guard (which swings up out of the way when not wanted) which the one in the picture is missing. But a nice restoration.

BTW, I cleaned off some of the decades of grunge today and found I did have a serial number plate. It says Rockwell, so the saw is postwar, not prewar as I had thought. There's a raised section on one of the castings with "8/48" cast into it. Good possibility that that's the date of manufacture, at least for that casting.

I'd looked at OWMM before, but has missed that picture. Thanks.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The casting will get you fairly close.

The belt guards and blade guards always seem to be the first to disappear.

The dust door on Unisaws is almost always gone on the older saws and yet nobody ever has one for sale. There is a POT load of dust doors some where.

You are extremely lucky to have a complete saw.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber