Rare old tablesaw?

Saw this saw on our local Craigslist. Does anyone have one and how good is it? It appears there's no safety gear (splitter, guard).

I wonder how many cabinets, tables, homes have been built with these saws?

Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Base footprint needs to be at least as big as the table. First thought that went through your mind, too, probably. Bolt it down or bolt it to a sheet of 3/4" ply.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Good thought, but this saw probably weight 750 pounds with a center of gravity about 1/2" above the floor. I doubt you could push it over with a car.

Nevertheless, that's probably why it has bolt holes in the legs...

Reply to
HeyBub

That's just like the one I picked up at an estate sale earlier this year. Mine did have a guard, an early version of an overhead one. I haven't had the time to restore it yet, but I'll post pictures when I do.

BTW, the table not only tilts, but cranks up and down. The blade and motor never move. Makes for a quiet saw when everything is lined up.

Take a look at owwm.org for more pictures.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I saw a saw like that for sale just the other day. It was marked as "Delta Rockwell" and it was a bit rougher than the one shown in the picture. The belt was exposed, and the tilting mechanism a bit flaky. For $200, I passed. It looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Reply to
Jedd Haas

From what I've read, most of them were made before Rockwell.

I too would have passed on the one you describe. Mine was in a lot better shape and cost $30.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard