Rockwell Table Saw

Hi All, I am thinking about trading a couch for a rockwell table saw, and am trying to figure out some info about Rockwell. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they potentially quality?

Reply to
megold.andrew

Kind of tough to sleep on :-) Couldn't resist.

Reply to
Bill

Rockwell is now Delta. Some Rockwell equipment will look just like todays Delta, but other stuff might be older model. Some will be useful, some might not. YMMV. Calling Delta with a model and serial number can get you info.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Ditto what Bill said.

Or asking back here with a model number and serial number would get you some real user info..

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I bought my Rockwell Jointer brand spanken new in the early 60's Still using it.... I also still use as my secondary tablesaw a Delta/Rockwell....... The only other tool I still have in the shop that has the Rockwell name on it is a Rockwell Speed Block sander....

That should tell you that Rockwell made "some" stuff that was pretty well made...

Delta and Rockwell esentially merged (or whatever term you want to use) I guess sometime in the late 60's maybe even early 70's...I really do not know...

The Jointer and Sander ONLY carry the ROCKWELL name... and were both [urchased new in the 60's The Contractors saw is labeled Delta / Rockwell ...Since I purchased it used I have no idea (nor am I interested) in when it was made...

My Original Table saw was a 9 inch Rockwell That I purchased new in the early 60's... And honestly it was NOT much of a saw...and I did not keep it very long... It was a low end model..with a universal motor and the fence was a joke...

SO... The Name Rockwell has been put on Good Machines and was also put on not so good machines.. Depends on the model numbers etc...

Delta Makes a nice Cabinet Saw....but that saw has nothing in common with the Little Delta Tablesaw That Home Depot had on sale for about

100 bucks... Except the name...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Actually, it was 1939. They didn't merge. Delta was sold.

Throughout the years Delta went by Delta/Milwaukee (when there was a Milwaukee plant/before it was shut down) and later Delta/Rockwell.

In 1974 all the companies owned by Rockwell were absorbed into what Rockwell had become Rockwell International. It was then that the Delta named was dropped.

When Penthair bought the machinery division of Rockwell International they couldn't continue to call it Rockwell International or Rockwell so they made the decision to resurrect the Delta name.

And now it's all owned by Black & Decker.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

=========== Had no idea on the date... Heck I was just about to be born in 1939....

=============I have never seen a tool with the label Delta/Milwaukee but I have seen many with the Delta/Rockwell label...including my one contractors saw..

========== Now I am "corn-fused" are you saying that in

1974 a new Delta/Rockwell tool was labeled only Rockwell.. and NOT just Delta?

========== Have any idea of the date ? Just curious as to the date that the name Rockwell was removed from the label and only Delta appeared...

============= Yep I understand that...

Thanks Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

In 1974 the entire companies that were under Rockwell were rolled into a corporate ball and everything the eye could see was re-branded Rockwell International.

Prior to that year woodworking machines were branded Rockwell Delta.

A date or when Penthair bought Delta I do not have other than 1984. You can tell the machines onna 'count of they were/are tagged with the upside down delta triangle made up of the three right side up delta triangles.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

============= Thanks.... I was just curious... since the only 2 ROCKWELL items in my shop are my little speed block sander and my 6 In Jointer... And my secondary tablesaw is a Rockwell slash Delta or is it a Delta slash Rockwell... Lol..

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Bob G.:

Personally and out of reverence, I always place the Delta before the Rockwell.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Now you're reverend?

Reply to
My Old Tools

Well, "D" does come before "R" in the alphabet. Mg>

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

you can find alot of info on rockwell/delta here

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Registered in Washington state where SPAM is Illegal

Tinman5555