New plane design (another one) featuring Karl Holtey Brass work

You thought this was an April fool?s joke? Well guess what it?s not.

I had a long phone call From Karl Holtey a few weeks ago. It is really nice to know he is just a normal guy a fellow plane maker. He does not get rich making planes though he makes a living unlike me (G)

But anyway he sent me this screw cap and I put it to use. It just drops in and is held with the bar. I have wanted to do this style of plane for a long time but I just never approached a machinist to do the work.

Well here you go this plane is cocobolo and ebony with my new sliding mouth and new slotted washer too. This is a great little plane and I wish I could keep it. The heft is really nice and it adjusts well. Right now I don?t know the cost as Karl never told me the cost for the brass work.

use this link for easy viewing.

Steve Knight

Good art! (Much too pretty to be just a tool.)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Pretty fancy there! Not to mention quite cute in it's size. How is the brass work held in there?

The look of the protype is much nicer with the slotted brass washer.

Reply to
arw01

[severely snipperized]

Probably the best example of form following function that I have seen in eons. Morris is right... it's art. Cordless as well.

Superb.

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

'tis purty, Steve!

Dave

Steve Knight wrote:

Reply to
David

no still a tool (G) it feels good in the hand see that makes it a tool (G) you see art stamped on my forehead??? (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

the screw cap is wedged under a 3/16" brass bar. it is removable as it just slides under the bar. I like that better then a non removable one.

that's for sure. a good combo I think of stainless and brass for other planes.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I guess if I don't try for that maybe I get there. I sure am no artist. I have three left thumbs sometimes. I cut two of them installing that jointer head (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Did you get a spiral jointer head? Do tell, with the exotics you work..

Alan

Reply to
arw01

When tools are well thought out, they look like they do because they have to look that way. When the purpose is met, the art surfaces. The state of the art. The art of plane/tool-making. You select the materials to look right to you. You finish your work to feel right to you. You don't have to do that, but you do. A vision turned into a goal into a finished .....art piece.

Reply to
Robatoy

That is a substantial design Steve, It looks really rigid and that it will last. Very solid. You might consider asking

about production screw caps, may be less cost and keep the price down.

Sorry I didn't answer your email previously, you offered me to be a beta tester for the T&G set, but I have no experience that far into planing, and have no useable shop set up with which to do anything yet. Kind offer though, no doubt. Still building my 1st bench.

Reply to
AAvK

ITYKWIM. Keep on grinning - you've earned it.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

yes and it sure helps. tropicals don't tearout as much as domestics but they dull the knives far faster.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Steve Knight wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So when can I buy one? Since it's not a joke, and you claim it's not art, I assume you want to put it into production.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

as soon as I get more screw caps. I hope it won't take long.

Reply to
Steve Knight