Finishing a wooden plane (double take)

I misread something in the Finch book about this, and realize there's nothing in there whatsoever about applying a finish to the plane.

Is it just not done? I can understand that, because an oil might affect the wood being planed, and a shellac or lacquer would wear off the sole eventually anyway.

What about tung oil? Or (polymerized) linseed oil? What about paste wax, seems like that would be a win?

Now I've done this, I can appreciate the beauty of the Knight planes and I'm teetering on the edge of getting one. Just have to overcome an inherent resistance to significant purchases, but when I do one of those jointers with a japanese blade is mine. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

finish on a plane is more to keep the wood from getting grungy and make it look/feel nice. no finish on the sole but wax. oil and wax is a good combo. I found this cool oil/wax mix that makes a good finish. but at 28.00 a quart it is not practical for just a tool. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

Hey, Thanks...

I have tung oil and paste wax. I'll try that.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Hmm, I have linseed oil and a beeswax stick. Dissolving the beeswax in the linseed oil sounds tasty and would make a nice smelling plane. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root