Double Glazing - Finishing

When my house was double glazed over a year ago the men finished off the outside by fixing strips of upvc ..30mm x 4mm to cover the gaps between frames and brickwork, etc. I want to get rid of the strips and fill the gaps with filler or mortar.

Is this a good method?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

OK but not sure what you'll gain, really? The uPVC strips are presumably only cosmetic; underneath I expect you'll find expanding foam sealing the gap and probably holding the window in place.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Looks unsightly with render as opposed to the UVPC strips.

The problem stems to the person who measured up to begin with ie they take a single measurement of both the horizontal and vertical plain of the window opening and think the other sides corrospond,this is not true due to the nature of sinkage or foundation movement over the years. All too often you see these blokes measuring up and its a quick near to the mark measurment.

Reply to
George

My house is a 100 year old tmid terrace with the usual stone build bay windows. I'll also be painting over it all in the near future. So any visual impact of the filling will be covered in paint. The guy who took the measurements did as you say, just measured the vert and horizontals and the fitters left 1" plus gaps between frames and outer brick work/stone work.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

You may find a rather larger gap than you expect behind the strip.

It's the normal method. You may have trouble removing the strips without damaging the surface of the frames though, depending on how well they are stuck on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Was this a tight budget? I personally would have had sothing to say if they left gaps more than 1/4" let alone 1" around the Framing/Brickwork.

They can do a tight fitting and get it right but at the end of the day it down to how much and how competant they are at installing it.

A neighbour has just had her front door DD and the surrounding area is atrocious its a Fan light type opening with arched window above the door and the covering strip was done in thre sections ie they used up what they had knocing about in the van instead of using a full lenght of the finishing strip. Needless to say they ended up having to redo it this way because she gave them hell when she seen it. So the moral of the story is if you keep stum they'll do a naff job.

Reply to
George

I think they are fixed in place with the sealant gun crap..which has turned grey.

Reply to
Davao