My Airplane display is not on Display!

In South America they have dove hunts... I think the standard package is two cases of shells per day but you can buy more!

I've thinned out the inventory... down to the two Brownings, a 20 gauge S&W Gold Elite English stock, and a 28 gauge CZ Ringneck. The Gold Elite is all I used the past two seasons... great woodcock and grouse gun where action is fast in tight cover. I do better with the Citori on the relatively slow flying pheasants in more open cover but the Gold Elite carries so nicely I carried it for them too... missed a few though. ;~)

Amusingly I used the Gold Elite at the Boy Scout sporting clays fundraiser last fall at Orvis Sandanona... worst score I ever got, a 50, but that got me first place in the "beginner's category" which we determined by the median score...! LOL That gun was totally out of place amongst the 12 gauge O/Us but I was there to have fun with the Gold Elite and I did. One of the trappers was giving me crap about shooting from a low gun during warm up. When my team showed up at his station during the shoot he started in again. He didn't say a word after I hit 5/6, from a low gun at a difficult uphill, tight, fast station where many got 0-3. That gun is made for that kind of shooting... those big slow 12 gauge guns were handicapped there. ;~)

Sort of on topic... I'm working on a fitted case for the Gold Elite... oak frame and exterior with a cherry interior. I made one but am not crazy about it... it was a good learning experience though. I'm going to strip the Brusso Quadrant Hinges and Gerstner leather handle and compartment (drawer) pull and make another one.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Envy you the upland game shooting. The closest we have here to that experience is Bob White quail in the Gulf Coast area. I used to load hay bales for a neighbor farmer, all day in the hot summer sun, in exchange for for the privilege of being able to hunt his acreage during quail season. I grew up devouring the old "Field and Stream" mags and dreamed many a night of pheasant and grouse hunting. :)

Reply to
Swingman

It is fun for sure... and it's not about the numbers it's about the experience. Habitat has become an issue as development and maturation of the forests has cut the number of birds. When I was a kid wild pheasants and grouse could be found in our large yard at times. Now my parents have turkey.... which is an outgrowth of the maturation.

Regarding habitat I've gotten involved with the Ruffed Grouse Society as treasurer of the Mid-Hudson chapter and my son Jesse is the secretary--the youngest officer in RGS history. We had our inaugural fund raising banquet a few weeks ago and had 73 participants. We've had discussions with the state department of environmental conservation and NYC watershed folks and both have indicated they would allow us to develop habitat on their lands. Things are looking up!

We get a chance at quail on one piece of state forest preserve land. It is stocked a couple times per year... don't think I've ever gotten more than 3 or 4 in a season though. It is a good place for stocked pheasants and the woodcock flights keep things interesting. Ruffed grouse are the toughest to find.... and kept secret!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

PRO!

Dave in Texas

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Definitely Pro. I have a friend who's done this for a living for quite a while, while employed by another company and now, as owner of his own. He specializes in museum displays and these kind of convention displays.

Leon, yours stands up in every aspect, with possibly one exception. In his business, they usually only have a week or two to produce an entire convention display. Of course, there's more than one guy doing it.

Kudos to you, looks fantastic.

Reply to
-MIKE-

thank you

Reply to
Leon

Thank you! It looked good in my garage. ;~) I was not sure how it would look compared to the other pieces that it would be used with. I think it works. At least they liked it enough to send me these pictures.

I recall the day before Thanksgiving sending the quote to them and I got a go ahead a couple of hours later. I bought materials the following Monday and the unit was completed before the end of the year. There were bumps in the road that delayed getting started in earnest and there was about a 10 day period that I had to wait for the airplanes to arrive so that I could space them before proceeding to cut the angles holes for the mounting posts and covering the top with laminate. I'm sure the guys that do this for a living already have an inventory of materials that are premade much like Ikea furniture. This set up appeared to be that way. I do recall feed back when the cabinet I built was first assembled with out my guidance. The response was, it's nice to have a display that goes together like you would think it should and it only take 10 minutes.

I put a lot of thought into the simplicity factor. There are 8 bolts that are all on the outside of the cabinet and that is all that is needed to hold everything in place. This does not count the actual mounting of the airplanes to the tops of the posts. Add 2 set screws for that. There are two shelves for storage inside behind the back doors and the airplane mounting posts slide through the angled top and index into the top shelf for stability.

Reply to
Leon